We are committed to keeping all communal areas, inside and out, clean and tidy and maintained to a high standard. This includes grass, hedges, shrubs, pathways and courtyards.
Sections in this guide (click title to view)
- 1. Caretaking services
- 2. Communal heating
- 3. Communal lighting
- 4. Concierge service
- 5. Estate cleaning and grounds maintenance
- 6. Pest control services
1. Caretaking services
This service operates seven days a week, 365 days a year.
A local caretaking service operates directly from your housing office, Monday to Thursday 8am to 5pm Friday 8am to 4pm.
The caretaker's job is to:
- give a good service to our customers
- look after our equipment and buildings through regular inspections and maintenance
- deal with emergencies in the local housing area.
To contact your local housing caretaker or concierge operator during normal office hours contact us on 020 7926 6000.
The caretakers' duties
The caretakers and concierges are responsible for:
- checking and replacing light bulbs on public staircases, landings and other public areas
- checking the day-to-day running of estate communal boilers and reporting any faults
- going to emergencies, such as burst pipes and floods, that affect tenants' homes
- dealing with blocked drains, lighting breakdowns and contractors
- releasing people trapped in lifts
- reporting any faults or repairs in public areas that tenants have told them about, or that they have noted on their estate inspection.
They're also responsible for checking equipment and estate facilities including:
- water tanks
- play areas
2. Communal heating
Depending on the type and location of the accommodation, you may have to pay for your heating, lighting, cooking and hot water with your rent.
If your block has a communal gas and electrical supply, the costs will be divided between all residents and added to your rent. You will not then receive a gas or electric bill.
As a tenant you will be informed of any charges when you sign your agreement.
3. Communal lighting
We want our estates to feel safe, and lighting can help improve this.
Report a communal light repair
If you notice that a lamppost or stairwell light needs repairing report it as soon as possible.
Taking note of the following will help fix the light sooner:
- lamppost number - this should be on a sticker on the lamppost
- location of the light, the closest door number
- estate name and road.
4. Concierge service
Our concierge service offers residents in specific high rise and medium rise buildings an improved security system.
The concierge service provides:
- 24-hour controlled entry and closed circuit video surveillance
- help to those living in the block
- a full range of caretaking duties.
Staff will provide a service at these blocks between 7am and midnight, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
5. Estate cleaning and grounds maintenance
Pinnacle carry out the cleaning tasks on our estates; services included in the contracts are for cleaning of:
- entrance halls
- balconies, and
- refuse chambers.
Communal cleaning charges
The communal cleaning charges for a building or a group of buildings are worked out by dividing the contract cost by the number of properties that receive the service.
Lambeth is divided into different contract areas for building and window cleaning, and also for grounds maintenance.
Under the window cleaning contract, the windows in public areas should be cleaned eight times a year.
If you have any questions about the building or window cleaning contracts please speak to your housing officer.
Under the grounds maintenance contract, the grass should be cut and tree, hedges and flower beds should be tidied regularly.
Complaints about cleaning
If you feel there is a problem with the cleaning or you would like to register a complaint about the standard of cleaning, fill in our feedback form or call us on 020 7926 6000.
6. Pest control services
We treat infestations of:
- tropical ants
- brown tail moths, and
- pigeon infestation.
If you think you are infested with these pests, or would like advice about dealing with them, call us on 020 7926 6000 or contact your area housing office who will arrange for a pest control contractor to visit you.
The service is free to tenants, the fee for leaseholders is covered through service charges.
We will carry out but charge you for the treatment of garden ants, domestic moths and wasps.
You will need to arrange privately for the treatment of all other forms of infestation.