If you are sleeping rough or are concerned about someone sleeping rough, please use the Street Link website or app to report this. The Street Link team will ensure the appropriate rough sleeping outreach team is informed and they will then try and locate the person to offer support.

Sections in this guide (click title to view)

1. Severe Weather Emergency protocol for rough sleepers

The Severe Weather Emergency Protocol (SWEP) sets out the arrangements Lambeth put in place to ensure that rough sleepers have access to emergency accommodation during extreme cold weather.

Under this protocol, the council, partner agencies and commissioned services will carry out prompt action to ensure all rough sleepers have the opportunity to access shelter.

SWEP will be activated in Lambeth when the Met Office forecasts temperatures of zero degrees Celsius, or below. Local conditions such as wind chill, rain and snow will also be considered.

The focus of SWEP arrangements is on ensuring a humanitarian response to prevent rough sleepers dying from the cold or other severe weather conditions. It is expected that all rough sleepers, including those who have no recourse to public funds are provided with emergency accommodation, irrespective of usual eligibility/entitlement.

If you are concerned about someone who you have seen sleeping on the street during cold weather, please report this to Street Link who will contact the appropriate rough sleeping outreach team who will try and locate and support the person into accommodation.

2. Help for vulnerable adults

Lambeth Council has a supported housing pathway called the Vulnerable Adults Pathway.

The Pathway provides and brings together a number of hostels and supported housing projects to accommodate single homeless people who have been assessed as having support needs. People referred for accommodation will have support needs in areas such as physical health, mental health, offending and substance use.

The Pathway provides short to medium-term supported accommodation options, not long-term or permanent accommodation.

Please note: Due to the high demands on a limited housing supply in Lambeth any future housing options will be sought in the private rented sector and not social housing.

Who is eligible for support and assistance via the Vulnerable Adults’ Pathway?

People referred must be:

  • aged 22 and over
  • homeless or at imminent risk of homelessness
  • have a local connection to Lambeth (see Local Connection below)
  • eligible to receive benefits (have recourse to public funds)
  • require support to maintain a tenancy
  • want to engage with support to address their needs.

Local Connection

To have a local connection to Lambeth someone must be ‘normally resident’ in Lambeth through their own choice.

Normal residence is 6 months residence during the last 12 months or 3 years residence during the last 5 years - proof of residence will be required. This excludes those who are connected to Lambeth due to a prison sentence, hospital or approved accommodation (bail hostel).

3. Getting in contact

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness, you can complete an online form and will be given an appointment to meet with a Housing Options Advisor.

Or you can come to the Customer Centre at the Civic Centre in Brixton. The Customer Centre is open from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. When you get to the Customer Centre, ask to speak to a Housing Options Advisor. Please note that you if you come directly to the Civic Centre without completing the online form above, you may need to wait to speak with an advisor.

If you are an agency working with a vulnerable adult who is homeless or at risk of homelessness:

  • Request a blank Universal Assessment and Referral Form (UARF) from: infoSNAP@lambeth.gov.uk
  • Send the completed UARF to Lambeth’s Housing Options Team for assessment, using the following email address: infoSNAP@lambeth.gov.uk
  • The Housing Options Team will ensure that the person being referred meets the eligibility criteria and is suitable to be referred for Pathway accommodation.