When you rent out your home, you must make sure your property meets current health and safety requirements.

Electrical safety

An electrical safety inspection must be carried out:

  • before a tenancy starts, and
  • during the tenancy, at intervals of no more than 5 years from the date of the previous inspection.

The electrical safety inspection does not have to be completed immediately before a new tenancy begins or every time a new tenancy starts, as long as an inspection has been carried out in the period of 5 years before the tenancy starts.

The electrical safety inspection must be recorded in an electric installation condition report (EICR) and a portable appliance testing (PAT) report.

Visit the electrical safety first website for information on:

Fire safety

As a landlord you must:

  • follow safety regulations
  • provide a smoke alarm on each storey and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room with a solid fuel burning appliance (for example a coal fire or wood burning stove)
  • check your tenants have access to escape routes at all times
  • make sure the furniture and furnishings you supply are fire safe
  • provide fire alarms and extinguishers if the property is a large house in multiple occupation (HMO).

You can read more about fire safety on the London Fire Brigade website.

Gas safety

By law you must get a gas safe registered engineer to inspect gas pipework, appliances and chimneys/flues every 12 months.

You must give your tenant a copy of the gas safety certificate within 28 days of the check being carried out, or before the tenant moves in. You must also keep a copy of the safety check for two years.

Visit the gas safety register website for information on: