Located at the heart of Loughborough Junction, just off Loughborough Road, the site has been designed by Architecture 00 and Public Works and will be initially managed by experienced local workspace provider, Meanwhile Space.
We are working with kitchen space provider Mission Kitchen to explore the provision of a shared cooking space that will help talented cooks, and aspiring entrepreneurs to turn a passion for food into a sustainable business.
The LJ Works site will also include other types of workspaces and support such as:
- a textile co-working space
- co-working office space
- workshops and studios
- the Loughborough Farm food growing project
- business support available across the site which will be delivered through local training organisations, Green Man Skills Zone and Tree Shepherd.
There will be a wide range of opportunities for the community to get involved in the project including influencing the design, assisting with the construction, opportunities for business premises and support.
Message from the cabinet member
Cllr Jack Hopkins, former Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Business and Culture, said:
“LJ Works will bring so many opportunities for people living in and near Loughborough Junction, from those people who want to develop new skills to those entrepreneurs who are already starting their small businesses.
"Loughborough Junction has so much to offer and this is just one of many exciting projects and improvements happening in an area that has been for too long simply thought of as a transport thoroughfare. This is not the first project aimed at delivering good quality, affordable workspace for local businesses… and it certainly won’t be the last.”
We have reached a major milestone - the LJ Works project was granted Planning permission on 9 May.
The application received no objections, but overwhelming support from the local community, which no doubt contributed to the decision. A massive thank you to the LJ Works community steering group and everyone who has supported the project so far.
- Our Planning application reference number is 17/00527/RG3 You can search for it on the Planning Application Database
For full details of the bid read our:
- 2015 London Regeneration Fund Application
- 2015 London Regeneration Fund Supplementary Document
- Equality Impact Assessment Report
- Frequently Asked Questions
The steering group
Decisions made in relation to LJ Works are overseen by project steering group consisting of local community organisations, elected ward councillors, Lambeth Council and Greater London Authority officers.
The group consists of a representative from the:
- Loughborough Estate Management Board (LEMB)
- Loughborough Estate Tenant and Residents Association (LETRA)
- Loughborough Junction Action Group (LJAG)
- Loughborough Farm
- Marcus Lipton Youth Centre
As well as:
- Cllr Matt Parr - Coldharbour Ward Councillor (Chair)
- Cllr Rachel Heywood - Coldharbour Ward Councillor
- Cllr Donatus Anyanwu - Coldharbour Ward Councillor
- Cllr Jack Holborn – Herne Hill Ward Councillor
- Tom Bridgman – Delivery Lead Brixton & Clapham: Lambeth Council Investment and Growth
- Tom Rumble – Neighbourhood Delivery Lead: Lambeth Council Investment and Growth
The project is intended to directly benefit the Loughborough Junction community and therefore local residents and businesses will be given priority when applying for space. However, applications are welcome from all. Please contact Meanwhile Space for more information on how to apply.
If you would like to get involved with the project construction or workshops please email Tom Dobson at email@example.com.