Temporary Event Notices (TENs) can be used for small-scale, one-off or occasional events, such as community, school and charity fundraising events, at which you intend to sell or supply alcohol at anytime, provide regulated entertainment at anytime, or sell hot food/drink between 11pm and 5am.

Do it online (external site)

This action is completed on another site (www.gov.uk). Press the button to go to the start of the process.

Who can use this service

To prevent abuse of the Temporary Event Notice (TEN) system, there are a number of limitations on how TENs may be used, which are as follows:

  • TENs can only be used for events where no more than 499 people (including staff and performers) are expected to attend
  • a premises can use up to 15 TENs per calendar year, authorising events on no more than 21 calendar days in that year (a calendar day starts at midnight, so a TEN running from 11pm to 1am would count as two days)
  • each TEN can last for up to 168 consecutive hours from start to finish
  • there must be at least 24 hours between the end of one TEN and the start of another
  • an individual (or a group of associates, business partners or family members) may only have five TENs per year (unless they hold a Personal Licence in which case they may have 50)
  • no more than two of the five TENs (or ten of the 50 for Personal Licence holders) can be late TENs (see below for more information on late TEN's)
  • TENs can only be held by persons over the age of 18.

If an event is expected to attract more than 499 persons, or last longer than 168 hours, or if it is intended to use the same premises to provide licensable activities on more than 12 occasions or 21 days per year, a Premises Licence will be required.

Costs for this service

There is a £21 fee for a temporary event notice. You'll need a debit or credit card. Please note that this fee is non refundable.

Payment options

If you complete your application online, you will be directed to the online payment portal.

If you complete a paper application you have these payment options:

Most major cards are accepted. When you are on the payment portal, choose 'premises licensing' on the left. You will need to attach a payment receipt to your application and submit your documents to the Lambeth Licensing department. We will not accept applications without this proof of payment.

Kiosk payments can be made by cash, cheque, credit card or debit card.

What you need to know...

The application for a Temporary Event Notice must be received:

  • at least 10 full working days before the first day of the proposed event, excluding the day on which the notice was received, for the notice to be treated as a standard TEN, or
  • at least 5 full working days before the first day of the proposed event, excluding the day on which the notice was received, for the notice to be treated as a late TEN.

Late temporary event notices

The council can accept two late TENs per person per calendar year (or ten with a Personal Licence). Applications submitted 5-9 working days before the start of the event will be classed as late TENs, and will be subject to special provisions. This limit applies nationwide - if you have given your late TENs to another licensing authority, you will not be able to give any in Lambeth.

If you submit your TEN less than 5 full working days (excluding the day on which the notice was received) before the start of the event, the notice will be deemed invalid and will not be considered.


If police or noise officers object to a late TEN, the event will be immediately vetoed. There is no option for a hearing, nor to appeal against the decision.