Information about safeguarding adults.

Information about Safeguarding Adult can be found at the Lambeth Safeguarding Adults Board website.

Sections in this guide (click title to view)

1. Safeguarding adults procedures

Lambeth Safeguarding Adults Board members, have agreed a local adult safeguarding policy which sets out how safeguarding adults is responded to within Lambeth.

Lambeth Adult Social Care also has its own Safeguarding Adults and Children policy and procedure

2. Report neglect or abuse of an adult

In an emergency you should always call the Police on 999. Alternatively if it is not an emergency you can call Police on 101.

If you think an adult is at risk of being neglected, abused or someone is neglecting or abusing you, please contact Lambeth Adults Social Care
What information is useful when reporting a safeguarding concern.

Do it online

Do it by phone

Lambeth’s Adult Social Care Services
Telephone: 020 7926 5555.
(9am to 5pm. Monday to Friday)

Outside office hours (This includes public holidays)
Telephone:020 7926 5555

Tell someone else

If you would prefer to contact someone other than Lambeth Council, there are charities that can offer advice and support:
Action on Elder Abuse can be contacted on their Helpline on 080 8808 8141 or by email at

Respond can be contacted on their Helpline on 0808 808 0700 or by email at $EMAIL

3. What information is useful when reporting a safeguarding concern

It can really help an enquiry if you are able to provide:

  • The details of the adult at risk
    (person/s that you believe are experiencing abuse/neglect)

  • Details of the person/s you believe are causing harm

  • Information about the abuse, neglect or physical harm

  • Information about what action(s) have already been taken

  • Even if you think you do not have enough evidence please still report your concerns.

For advice on safeguarding adults’ matters in Lambeth, contact Lambeth Council’s
Quality and Safeguarding Adults Service
Please do not refer safeguarding adults concerns (referrals) to this address.

4. What happens once I’ve reported abuse or neglect?

Someone, such as a social worker, nurse or someone the persons trusts, will talk to the adult at risk, about their situation, and find out what the adult at risk thinks should be done to keep them safe and properly cared for.

The social worker will contact the people the adult at risk would like to have involved to build up a picture of what has happened.

In these situations the process of gathering information about the situation is called a ‘Safeguarding Adults Enquiry’

The social worker will agree with the adult at risk who needs to be involved. Depending on the situation, this might be.

  • Police
  • GP
  • other professionals to help keep the adult at risk safe.

This could take a few days or a few weeks.

Leaflet on what to expect when you raise a safeguarding concern

5. Hate crimes

A hate crime is any incident which the victim, or anyone else, thinks is based on someone’s prejudice towards them because they're transgender or because of their:

  • race
  • religion
  • sexual orientation
  • disability.

Not all hate incidents will amount to criminal offences, but it is equally important that these are reported and recorded.

If you experience or witness a hate crime in Lambeth, report it to the police on 999 or 101, or use our report a hate crime form.

You can also report hate crime to these independent advice and support services, which can provide you with the help and advocacy you need to deal with this issue.

6. Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) – what are these?

The Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) are part of the Mental Capacity Act 2005. The safeguards aim to make sure that people in care homes and hospitals are looked after in a way that does not inappropriately restrict their freedom. For more information about what DoLS is about and what to do if you think someone is being illegally deprived of their liberty, please visit the Lambeth Safeguarding Adults Board website