We remove abandoned vehicles (dumped cars, vans etc) that are clearly not being used or are untaxed as they may be a danger to the public.

If the vehicle is still being used it is not abandoned, see untaxed vehicles.

Abandoned vehicles are a nuisance and a danger to the public, it is illegal to abandon vehicles and by doing so you may be prosecuted.

Sections in this guide (click title to view)

1. What is an abandoned vehicle?

We classify a vehicle as being abandoned if it meets all or some of the following criteria .

  • if the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) is out of date by 2 months
  • the windows have been broken
  • it's clearly not being used, for example, it has dirty windows or rubbish inside, there is a build-up of rubbish around the wheels
  • it's obviously a danger to the public
  • If the vehicle is in a condition that can lead to anti-social behaviour ie. unlocked

2. Reporting an abandoned vehicle

If you want to report an abandoned vehicle complete our online nuisance vehicle reporting form.

We need to know the:

  • vehicle colour, make and preferably model
  • registration
  • exact location.

If you wish to report an abandoned car on your estate, please contact your housing office.

3. How to claim your vehicle

If your vehicle has been removed by us as an abandoned vehicle, it will be taken to:

ELV Car Pound
Cottage Carparks
Chequers Lane
Telephone: 020 8984 0554

The pound is open Monday to Friday, 7am to 5pm.

We advise you contact TRACE to confirm this is where your vehicle has been removed to.

You will need to provide proof of ownership to claim the vehicle.

Fees for removed vehicles

  • Lifting - £200
  • Storage - £40 per day

4. Vehicles on private land

Our authority extends only to vehicles abandoned on the highway or estate land. Where vehicles have been left on private land we will investigate the vehicle and if it is deemed abandoned serve a 15 day notice. If the vehicle is not claimed we will removed the vehicle.

If the vehicle is not classified as abandoned we are unable to remove it.

5. How do I prevent my vehicle being mistaken as an abandoned vehicle?

If you wish to park your vehicle on the highway your vehicle must be taxed even if you are not using the vehicle. Alternatively arrange for your vehicle to be stored off the highway. To do this you must obtain a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification).