The disabled people's travel pass, known as the Freedom Pass, gives you free travel on buses, tube, trains, Docklands Light Railway and trams in London.

Do it online

Who can use this service

You can apply for a disabled person’s freedom pass if you live in Lambeth and have an eligible disability.

Eligible disabilities are (as listed in the Transport Act 2000):

  • You are blind or partially sighted
  • You are profoundly or severely deaf
  • You cannot speak, in any language
  • You have a disability, or have suffered an injury which makes walking more difficult
  • You do not have arms or have lost the use of your arms, long term
  • You have a learning disability. This is defined as 'a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning'
  • You have been, or would be refused a driving licence on the grounds of your disability

Find out more about eligibility for the disabled person's Freedom Pass

Paper form

If you prefer not to complete your application online, you can complete a paper form and post it or email it to us.

Return your form with copies of your proof documents to:


Accessible Transport Unit
Lambeth Council
P.O. Box 734
S023 5DG


What you need to know...

Using your pass

The Freedom Pass gives free travel on most public transport in London 24 hours a day (after 9.30am on most National Rail services within the London area), including all day at weekends and on public holidays.

This pass may also be used to travel on local bus services in the rest of England under the terms of the Concessionary Bus Travel Act 2007.

Find out more about using your pass

Evidence for your application

You will need to provide proof of your disability, your residence in Lambeth, and your identity, in your application. You should provide us with copies - ie scanned documents or digital photos.

We accept these types of evidence:

You receive the higher rate mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA):

  • your award letter, dated in the past six months, showing the award period OR
  • your indefinite award letter

You receive Personal Independence Payment for ‘moving around’ and/or ‘communicating verbally:

  • a letter showing your entitlement, dated in the past 12 months

You receive a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement:

  • your award letter

You are blind or partially sighted:

  • a copy of your opthalmologist’s CV1 or BD8 report OR
  • A letter showing your Lambeth Council vision impairment number and details

You are profoundly or severely deaf:

  • A copy of your audiologist’s report OR
  • A letter showing your Lambeth Council deaf registration number and details

You cannot speak, in any language:

  • A copy of your audiologist's report OR
  • A letter showing your Lambeth Council deaf registration number and details

You do not have arms or have lost the use of your arms:

  • A letter from your GP or specialist confirming your condition

You have a learning disability:

We will ask you questions about your condition and you can provide proof, for example:

  • a statement of special needs
  • a speech/language therapy report
  • A social worker/psychologist’s report
  • Mencap registration and support details
  • Details of registering with an organisation which helps you manage your daily routine

You have been, or would be refused a driving licence because of your disability:

  • A DVLA statement regarding your inability to drive OR
  • A statement from a medical specialist confirming your condition and recommendation that you should not drive

You have a disability or have had an injury which makes walking difficult:

  • if you do not fit into any of the other categories above, we will ask you questions about your medical conditions and difficulty in walking, and may invite you for an assessment

Proof of living in Lambeth

You need to provide a copy of two of these documents, showing your name and address. One must be dated in the past three months.

  • council tax bill
  • DWP (Department of Work and Pensions) letter of benefits or pension entitlement
  • Utility bill, eg gas, electricity, land line phone, water
  • Bank statement
  • Rent book
  • Tenancy agreement or contents insurance agreement
  • Letter confirming you are on the electoral register
  • Domiciliary care bill

Proof of identity

You need to provide a copy of one of these documents.

  • Driving licence photocard
  • Passport photo page (current or expired)
  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Asylum seeker's registration card or standard acknowledgement letter

Next Steps

We will assess your application and, if you qualify for a pass, your Freedom Pass will be posted directly to you.

It can take six weeks to fully process your Freedom Pass application form. This is to allow for proof of address checks, screening of application and where relevant, attendance at our mobility assessment clinic.

It will take longer for a decision to be made if you do not supply all the information required, including information to prove your eligibility and also your residency.

Lost, stolen, damaged or faulty passes?

Go to the new portal to replace your Freedom Pass.

Freedom Pass holders who lose or damage their passes will be charged £10 for replacements.

The Freedom Pass is paid for by your local council and the scheme is managed by London Councils on behalf of the London boroughs.