Do it online
If you wish to report an abandoned vehicle on a Lambeth housing estate please contact your Lambeth housing estate office.
Who can use this service
We will decide if a vehicle is abandoned or not. An abandoned vehicle should meet one or some of the following criteria:
- the vehicle hasn't moved within the last month
- the windows are broken
- it's clearly not being used, for example, it has dirty windows or rubbish inside, there is a build-up of rubbish around the wheels, has flat tyre(s) or missing wheels
- it's a danger to the public
- it’s burnt out
- if the vehicle is in a condition that can lead to anti-social behaviour
- if the vehicle has no number plates.
If the vehicle is untaxed, and is not a danger to the public you will need to report this to the DVLA. We are not authorised to enforce against car tax evasion, this is the responsibility of the DVLA.
If the vehicle is on a TfL red route you will need to report this to Transport for London. Red routes, and abandoned vehicles on them are the responsibility of TfL.
What you need to know...
We need to know the:
- vehicle has been taxed (if it hasn’t then you will need to find this out with the DVLA before submitting the form using the following link check if a vehicle is taxed
- vehicle colour, make and preferably model
- exact location.
If the vehicle is on private land, please provide your contact details so we can get in touch if we require further information. We can't remove a vehicle from private land without the permission of the landowner. If you have a letter from the landowner please upload it when using the online form.
If you wish to report an abandoned car on your estate, please contact your Lambeth housing office.
We will undertake an inspection of any reported vehicles.
If from the inspection we consider the vehicle to be abandoned, we will undertake additional checks with the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA) and possibly with the police, to see if it is of interest to them.
Once these checks have cleared the vehicle will be marked for removal and we may issue a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) of £200 reduced to £150 if paid within 10 days.
It can take up to six weeks for a vehicle to be classed as abandoned and removed.