Anyone intending to undertake the demolition of a building must notify us.

Contact us at:

Telephone: 020 7926 9000
Postal address:

Building Control
London Borough of Lambeth
PO Box 734
SO23 5DG

Sections in this guide (click title to view)

1. Do I need permission?

Not all demolition work requires a demolition notice to be submitted to Lambeth Council.

A demolition notice need not be served:

  • for the demolition of the internal part of a building, where the building is occupied and it is intended that it should continue to be occupied
  • where the external volume is not greater than 50m3
  • if the building is a greenhouse, shed, conservatory or prefabricated garage
  • if the building is an agricultural building (as defined by section 26 of the General Rate Act 1967), unless it is against a building that is itself not an agricultural building.

Anyone intending to undertake the demolition of a building that is not in the above group must notify Lambeth Council Building Control.

To submit a demolition notice, go to our Report your intention to demolish a building page.

2. What happens after we've received your notice?

Once we have received your demolition notice and a site plan with the property to be demolished outlined in red, we will review the notice and issue a counter notice under Section 81 of the Building Control Act 1984. This will set out the steps to be followed to ensure that the building is demolished in a safe and satisfactory manner.

These may include:

  • shoring up adjacent buildings
  • weatherproofing areas of adjacent buildings exposed by the demolition
  • repairing or making good damage caused to adjacent buildings by the demolition
  • removing rubbish and clearing the site
  • the disconnection, sealing or removal of any drainage under the building
  • making arrangements with the appropriate statutory authorities for the disconnection of water, gas and electricity from the building
  • informing the local fire authority if buildings or materials are to be burnt on site
  • ensuring that the site is adequately fenced or otherwise protected to prevent danger to those on or near the site.

3. Who will be informed of the demolition?

Various individuals and organisations should be notified of the demolition works:

  • Owners of premises adjoining the site.
  • British Gas
  • EDF electricity
  • Thames Water Services
  • Fire Safety Officer
  • The Environment Agency
  • The Health and Safety Executive
  • Lambeth Council planning department.

4. Other consent required

In some cases, depending on the type of building being demolished or the area in which it is situated, consent may be required under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and Town and Country Planning (Listed Building and Conservation Areas) Act 1990, if:

  • the building is a listed building,
  • it is within a conservation area,
  • the building is a dwelling house or is a building adjoining a dwelling house and certain other buildings where the volume exceeds 50m3.

Trees on the site may be protected by a tree preservation order and conditions on a planning permission may restrict the burning of rubbish.

Under Section 10(3) of the London Local Authorities Act 2004, Lambeth Council is entitled to recover any expenses reasonably incurred under Section 81 of the Building Act 1984. An invoice for the expenses, which will be incurred by the council in this matter, will be estimated when Section 80 notice is received. An initial fee (for sites other than those classified as large) of £250 is payable and must be sent together with your application.

Large sites are identified as sites containing a building greater than 7,100m3 or over 30m high. An initial fee of £380 for larger sites is required. The fee may be reassessed when Section 80 notice is received due to the size and complexity of the site.