Lambeth Building Control provides a professional building regulations approval service for all types of works. This guide provides information about the service we offer.
Sections in this guide (click title to view)
1. What we will provide
We are happy to talk to you - our advice is both comprehensive and impartial. We can help you with:
- whether you need to submit an application
- the type of application you should make and completing the application form
- the regulations that are applicable to your scheme
- the timescales for the application process
- the people you will work with.
We are also happy to engage with you in the early stages of the development of your scheme through our pre-application advice service. We can work with your design team either through attendance at design meetings or by providing advice via email. Our early engagement, whilst elements are being worked upon by your professional team, provides the best opportunity to resolve design challenges and offer options and solutions to problems in a cost-effective way. This advice can cover all elements such as structural engineering, fire engineering and discussion with the Fire Brigade and building regulation advice.
Your application will be dealt with by our dedicated team and we will:
- book in your application quickly
- provide a dedicated building control surveyor for the application checking and scheme when on site
- provide the appropriate professionals to deal with the works on larger projects, with a dedicated principal surveyor to oversee the whole of the works
- offer all schemes a next day site inspection to ensure no delays
We have strong ties with other departments within the Council as well as the Fire Brigade to assist during the initial submission of an application and during the works as well.
If you wish to become a partner with the Council we have the ability to deal with plan examination anywhere in England and this will be in agreement with the authority in whose are the works are sited.
2. Our team
Our team is made up of surveyors, structural engineers and fire engineers, including an officer with expertise in sports venue safety. They have a thorough knowledge of the local area and a full appreciation of customer care. They are backed by a dedicated technical support team and there is always a technical person in the office every day to answer phone calls and emails.
3. Our fees
We publish a list of building regulation application fees for smaller schemes online.
For larger schemes we tailor our fees to suit each project based upon the works required. We take into account the quality of the design package, the size and timescale of the project, its complexity, and any repetitive elements of the design. For larger schemes we can also agree a series of phased payments through the lifetime of your construction project.
Our fees are competitive because as a local authority we not allowed to make a profit.
4. Other services we provide
Through our partnership with Local Authority Building Control (LABC) we can offer clients using our Building Control team additional services:
- Energy conservation and sustainability. This could involve SAP assessments, air tightness testing to BREEAM attainment.
- Warranties for new homes, mixed use development, non-residential buildings including commercial, hospital and healthcare, industrial, education and public buildings.
- Sound testing including pre-completion testing and environmental noise and vibration assessments (PPG24 , BS4142).
- Fire Risk Assessments.
- Registered details.
London Building Acts
We grant licenses under section 30 of the London Building Acts (Amendment) Act 1939 Part IV - Special and Temporary Structures.
More information about how to apply can be found in our building regulations guide.
5. How you can help us
There’s a few things that you can do to help us process your application quickly:
- Provide any information that we ask for.
- Make sure that you fill in your application form completely, providing all the information requested. If you don’t sign the form and enclose your cheque, it will delay the processing of your application.
- State clearly on the form the full extent of the planned work.
- If a reference number has been given to you, please quote this on all correspondence with us, whether it’s by telephone, letter or email. It will help us to locate your application quickly and accurately.
- Give us as much notice as you can if you need us to carry out an inspection, preferably at least a day in advance.