Rush Common land is a much valued and historic area whose character and open space provide a valuable amenity to Brixton. The council is committed to preserving and improving it.
On Rush Common land, building works or new structures above the surface of the ground require Rush Common consent from the council. This is in addition and separate to the need for planning or any other permissions.
Sections in this guide (click title to view)
- 1. What works need Rush Common consent?
- 2. Rush Common addresses
- 3. Further information about Rush Common
1. What works need Rush Common consent?
Examples of works requiring Rush Common consent are:
- new buildings (including sheds, summerhouses and huts)
- lighting columns
- hardstanding for car parking and other purposes.
This is not an exhaustive list.
For more details, please read the Rush Common policy and guidance notes:
Email us before starting any work:
2. Rush Common addresses
The following list of addresses include properties that are on Rush Common prescribed land south of Coldharbour Lane.
It should be noted that in many cases only part of the buildings or land (forecourts, gardens or private open space) are on Rush Common land.
- Arodene Road - 2 - 20, 7, Raleigh Park Baptist Church
- Brixton Hill - St Matthews Gardens and part of Church, 75 - 85, 87 - 89, 97 - 111, Raleigh Gardens 1a, 1 - 24 consec, 131, Brixton Hill Methodist Church, Tudor Close, Hyperion House, 219 - 233, 235 United Reform Church
- Brixton Oval - Ritzy Cinema, Tate Library
- Brixton Water Lane - Wells House, Rainsford House, Marchant House, 22a, 53
- Crownstone Road east side - Flats 1 - 107, 109 - 141
- Deepdene Gardens - Outwood House, Dunsfold House
- Dray Gardens - Farnfield House
- Endymion Road - Calidore Close
- Effra Road - East side - Windrush Square, 7 - 93, including Eurolink Business Centre, Effra Retail Park, Fitch Court, Brixton Unitarian Church, Bailey Mews, Former George Canning Public House. West side - Nevena Court, Brockwell Court
- Fairmount Road - 2, 5
- Helix Gardens - 2 - 14, 1 - 39
- Hickman Road - Gale House, Elderton House, Garland House
- Josephine Avenue - Hermes House, 2 - 60, 5 - 39
- Kett Gardens - Byrne House
- Redlands Way - Witley House, Tanhurst House
- Rushcroft Road - Norfolk House
- Saltoun Road - 2a
- St Matthews Road - East side 1 - 5, Trinity Church, 7 - 97. West side Baltic House, 7 - 9, Manor Court, Camsey House
- Tulse Hill east side - 1 - 45, (pavements) 2 - 4
- Upper Tulse Hill - Deepdene Lodge
For further details please view the map of the Rush Common and conservation area:
3. Further information about Rush Common
Find further information about Rush Common in the downloads section.