Alongside the Lambeth Local Plan 2015 we publish Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) and other guidance that explains our policies in more detail.
Sections in this guide (click title to view)
- 1. Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs)
- 2. Consultation on new Draft SPDs
- 3. Planning policy guidance notes
- 4. London Plan Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPGs)
- 5. Rush Common
1. Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs)
SPDs give additional guidance on some of the policies of the Local Plan, where this is needed. SPDs do not have the same status as the policies in the Local Plan but have been subject to public consultation and are taken into account as material considerations in dealing with planning applications. We currently have two borough-wide, and three area-specific SPDs.
Borough wide SPD
Lambeth Building Alterations and Extensions SPD
The Building Alterations and Extensions Supplementary Planning Document was adopted on 23 September 2015. This provides detailed guidance to applicants on the design of alterations and extensions and applies across the borough.
The council prepared an adoption statement for the Building Alterations and Extensions Supplementary Planning Document.
The SPD was subject to public comment. See a schedule of the representations received along with the council response.
Lambeth Development Viability SPD
The Lambeth Development Viability SPD was adopted on 2nd October 2017. The SPD sets out the council's approach to assessing development viability in planning proposals.
An adoption statement and Strategic Environmental Assessment Screening Statement report have been prepared. The consultation statement sets out who was consulted during the preparation of the SPD, a summary of the main issues raised during consultation and the council's response to comments received.
Lambeth Employment and Skills SPD
The Lambeth Employment and Skills SPD was adopted on 5th February 2018. The SPD sets out the council's approach to securing appropriate contributions through Section 106 agreements towards employment and skills initiatives. An adoption statement and Strategic Environmental Assessment Screening Statement report have been prepared. The consultation statement sets out who was consulted during the preparation of the SPD, a summary of the main issues raised during consultation and the council's response to comments received.
Area specific SPDs
The council has three adopted area-specific SPDs. These provide detailed guidance to support implementation of the Local Plan policies for Brixton, Vauxhall and Waterloo.
2. Consultation on new Draft SPDs
Draft Affordable Workspace SPD
The Draft Affordable Workspace SPD sets out the council’s approach to seeking affordable workspace from office developments across certain parts of the borough. It provides additional guidance to the application of new draft Local Plan Policy ED2 Affordable Workspace (see Draft Revised Lambeth Local Plan Proposed Submission Version January 2020)
See the council’s consultation webpage on Draft Affordable Workspace SPD for further details. The consultation period runs from 11 February to 7 April 2020.
Draft Design Code SPD
The Draft Design Code SPD provides guidance on the council’s emerging policy approach to the design of the built environment (see Draft Revised Lambeth Local Plan Proposed Submission Version January 2020). It is in five parts – each covering a separate design topic.
- Draft Design Code SPD part 1 explains the character of Lambeth’s and the borough’s design intent.
- Draft Design Code SPD part 2 gives general advice on all types of development.
- Draft Design Code SPD part 3 gives specific advice on new-build schemes.
- Draft Design Code SPD part 4 gives advice on building alterations, extensions and conversions.
- Draft Design Code SPD part 5 focuses on basement development.
See the council’s consultation webpage on Draft Design Code SPD for further details. The consultation period runs from 11 February to 7 April 2020.
3. Planning policy guidance notes
The following documents set out specific planning policy guidance.
- Lambeth Advertising & Signage Guidance
- Lambeth Planning Guidance Note : Marketing of Employment Premises and Sites October 2015
- Lambeth Parking Survey Guidance Notes
- Lambeth Refuse & Recycling Storage Design Guide
- Lambeth Waste and Recycling Storage and Collection Requirements - Technical Specification for Architects and Developers
- Lambeth Air Quality Planning Guidance Notes
- Wildlife Assessment Check - this is a free online tool for householders and small to medium-scale developers who want to undertake a development project to check whether they will need expert ecological advice before submitting a planning application. Local planning authorities have a statutory duty, according to UK and EU legislation and policy, to consider the potential impacts of a development on protected and priority species, habitats and statutory designated sites, such as Sites of Special Scientific Importance (SSSIs), that are protected by law. The Wildlife Assessment Check considers whether there are any protected and priority wildlife species and statutory designated sites that may be impacted by a development project. It enables users to undertake a simple check at the pre-planning application stage, before a planning application is submitted. This will help clarify for applicants and planners whether a proposed site needs professional ecological advice and further assessment. For further advice and guidance please contact Lambeth Parks on firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. London Plan Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPGs)
Lambeth's Local Plan is supported by detailed guidance in Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) that are described in other sections of this guide. In a similar way, the Mayor's London Plan is supported by detailed guidance published in Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) documents.
5. Rush Common
On Rush Common land in Brixton, building works or new structures above the surface of the ground require Rush Common consent from the council. This is in addition and separate to the need for planning or any other permissions.