We offer a food waste collection service to all street properties that have their own wheelie bins so you can put all your scraps into your food waste bin and it will be collected for composting.
Food waste collections are not available from estates.
Sections in this guide (click title to view)
- 1. Food waste collections
- 2. What to put in your caddy
- 3. What happens to my food waste?
- 4. Reducing food waste
- 5. Order food waste bags
- 6. Order a food waste bin or kitchen caddy
1. Food waste collections
Your food waste is collected on the same day as your refuse and recycling.
Collections for kerbside properties
- We have provided a kitchen caddy and an outside food waste bin.
- You can place your external bin on the footpath outside the boundary of your property after 8pm the night before and by 6am on the day of your collection.
- Please make sure that your external bin does not obstruct the pavement.
- Please do not place your small silver caddies out for collection either inside or on top of your food waste bin. We are only able to collect food waste from your external bins. If you find you regularly do not have enough space in your external bin, you may order another, please see below.
2. What to put in your caddy
- meat and fish (raw and cooked including bones)
- fruit and vegetables (raw and cooked)
- dairy products (including cheese, eggs and egg shells)
- bread, cakes and pastries
- rice and pasta
- tea bags, tea and coffee grounds
- used kitchen paper towels
- uneaten food from plates and dishes.
- packaging of any sort
- plastic bags
- glass, metal and paper
- oils and liquids
- soil, rubble and stones
- any other waste.
3. What happens to my food waste?
Your food waste is collected with garden waste and taken to an in-vessel composting (IVC) facility where it is composted. This is an enclosed, intensive method of composting with accurate temperature control and monitoring to ensure that the material is fully sanitised before it is matured and screened for use. Once mature, it is used to improve farmland around London, reducing the need for artificial fertiliser.
4. Reducing food waste
You can visit the Love Food Hate Waste website for lots of practical advice, tips and recipes on how to avoid food waste.
For information on composting food waste and other materials, please visit the recycle now website.
To order a composting bin or a wormery at reduced rates, go to our order a compost bin page.
5. Order food waste bags
You can purchase liners for your food waste caddy online. The small liners are suitable for Lambeth caddies.
Alternatively, you will find that most large supermarkets now stock liners.
If you would prefer not to buy liners, you can use newspaper to line your caddy instead. The newspaper can be disposed of along with your food waste. Please do not use plastic bags in your caddy as they do not breakdown during the composting process.
6. Order a food waste bin or kitchen caddy
If your food waste bin is broken or has gone missing you can request a new one. If you have recently moved into your property and need a food waste kitchen caddy and bin or if you would like an extra one you can also request one.