Apply for an in-year admission to a Lambeth secondary school for the 2019-20 academic year.

Sections in this guide (click title to view)

1. Before you apply

You'll need to make an in-year secondary school application if:

  • your child lives in Lambeth and doesn't currently have a school place
  • your child has a school place but you want to transfer them to another school after school has started in September
  • you have recently arrived in Lambeth and you have school aged children.

Please see the guidance below if:

  • you're moving out of Lambeth
  • your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan
  • your child has been permanently excluded from a school.

In-year admissions explained

The Lambeth secondary school admissions in-year booklet explains how in-year applications are to be made within the borough

The Lambeth School Admissions Team only process applications for Lambeth community schools. Applications for other Lambeth schools must be made directly to the school using their own form. If you wish to apply for a current year 10 or 11 place at a University Technology College (UTC) or a studio school, applications must be made directly to the provision. For more details on London UTCs and studio schools read our 14-19 transfer 2020-21 guide

For applications for schools in other boroughs, please contact the school or the relevant local council to find out their application process.

It is advisable that you visit the schools you wish to apply for and you may wish to look at a school's Ofsted report too.

Before you submit your In-Year Common Application Form, a Lambeth in-year transfer form will need to be completed by you and a senior member of school staff, if your child is on the register of a London state school.

If you're moving out of Lambeth

If you are moving away from Lambeth and need to find a new school for your child you will need to apply to the local authority for the area you are moving to. You can find out who your new local authority will be on GOV.UK - find your local council.

Children with special educational needs and, or disabilities (SEND)

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), you'll need to apply for an in-year school move in a different way.

Read about choosing and applying for a school for a child with an EHCP in the SEND Local Offer.

Permanently excluded children

If you're looking for a new school because your child has been permanently excluded from a school, you should not apply through the in-year process.

Instead, if you are a Lambeth resident, please contact the Inclusion Team on 020 7926 6928 or email to discuss revised educational arrangements as detailed in the permanent exclusion letter issued.

If you don't live in Lambeth you should contact your home local authority for support and guidance regarding the next steps.

2. How to apply for a school place - including online form

Apply online:

Lambeth Parent Portal - In-Year school Common Application Form

Please use the link above to apply for Lambeth community schools and Oasis Academy Johanna (regardless of which borough the child lives in). You may find our guide helpful with this process.

In addition to the online In-Year Common Application Form, if your child is on the register of a London state school, you and a senior member of staff there will need to complete the following Lambeth In-Year Transfer Form and attach it to your application before submission.

Please also make sure that you attach the required proof of address and date of birth documents mentioned in section 3 of this page for attaching to the online form before you submit it, for the application to be complete.

The Lambeth In-Year Transfer Form, proof of address documents, and proof date of birth documents can also be sent to Lambeth School Admissions Team separately, if you are unable to attach them to your online application.

A paper Lambeth In-Year Common Application Form if you are unable to use the online application.

Completed paper forms will need to be handed in by appointment at the Lambeth Customer Service Centre or sent back to us by post.

Appointments are required for staff to check the documents handed in and will last about 10 minutes. Most appointments will be available for the same day or the following day.

You can book an appointment online or in person at the Customer Service Centre.

However, if you are unable to visit the Customer Service Centre and wish us to process an application or proof of address documentation etc, you can email these to on the understanding that the security of any unsecured/unencrypted sensitive information which is emailed to us is the responsibility of the sender. By emailing us such documents unencrypted, or are intending to, you are accepting full responsibility for its security. If possible, we would recommend that items are sent securely via an email encryption package (we use egress switch which is free).

If you choose to send your application by post, make sure you must use the correct postage and preferably signed for or recorded delivery.

Applications should be sent to:

Lambeth School Admissions Team
London Borough of Lambeth
PO Box 734
S023 5DG

3. Proof of address and child's date of birth

When you apply for a school place you'll need to provide proof of address and your child's date of birth.

You must attach these documents before you submit your online iCAF, or it needs to be received soon after by Lambeth School Admissions Team.

Without this documentation your child’s application may be withdrawn and no offer made at a school.

Take a look at at the required documents list to ensure you provide what is needed.

Change of details

If you move address after submitting your application, you must tell us about this so we can contact you if we need more information or to tell you the result of your application.

To tell us about your change of address, you'll need to fill in our school admissions change of address form and provide proof of your new address for and your child.

You'll need to tell us if you have a change of medical circumstances or a sibling starts at a preferred school. You can do this by sending an email to the school admissions team at

4. Waiting lists

If an offer is made from an iCAF this will be the highest preference possible at that time. Any lower preferences will be automatically declined (closed).

Waiting list places for Lambeth community schools vary regularly as new applications are added and offers are made. Details about where your child sits on a waiting list can be given on request but is accurate for that time only.

The child’s name will be taken off the waiting list of any higher preferences to the one offered unless the relevant section on the reply form is completed.

Children’s names will remain on waiting lists for Lambeth community schools until the end of the academic year (31 August) in which the application was received or until 31 December of the same year if received after 1 June.

After this time a new iCAF will be required to ensure that details on the waiting list are accurate and up-to-date.

5. Contact us

If you need advice on applying for a school place, you can email us at or call the school admissions call centre on 020 7926 9503.

6. Lambeth School Admissions privacy notice

In accordance with the General Data Protection Act 2018, this document states how the information you give is used for school admissions and safeguarding purposes. Also for information on how Lambeth Council processes personal data please see our Privacy Notice.

If you need any further information about Lambeth Council's privacy notice please email