Lambeth Council offers both school based training to meet your needs and borough-wide courses on topics ranging from an extensive induction course for new governors through to courses on key issues connected with the governing body's role in monitoring, evaluation and performance management.
We provide management advice and support to headteachers and governors. Services are provided to schools on a buy-back basis.
- an in depth knowledge of the law and practice affecting governing bodies and schools
- knowledge of issues developing nationally that will affect governing bodies and headteachers, and extensive networking across the Local Education Authorities and Department for Education to raise issues and obtain answers
- advice and support for governors and headteachers based on best practice experience
- tailor made school based courses, central courses on key topics and nationally recognised trainers.
The services we provide include:
- the governor training and development programme covering governors' core responsibilities and new local and national initiatives and school-based sessions tailored to the needs of individual governing bodies
- a termly report to school governors and headteachers from the Executive Director of Lambeth’s Children and Young People’s Service (CYPS) – Working Together – which includes written briefings on current national and local issues and examples of good practice
- a telephone and email advice service on all issues relation to school governance:
020 7926 9668
School governors advice line
9am to 5pm during term time
Sections in this guide (click title to view)
1. Useful documents
Model terms of reference for committees
Model Disability Equality Scheme for schools
Model Gender Equality Scheme for schools
SEAL general guidance
SEAL self-review action plan
Model leadership development and succession planning policy statement
For more information see the governance section of the Department for Education website
2. Finance for governors
Guidance and information to assist with their financial management duties.
The school governing body has delegated responsibility of the financial management of the school. The responsibilities are to:
- guide and assist the headteacher in all financial matters including budgeting and long term strategic planning
- agree with the headteacher the minimum frequency, level of detail and general format of the financial information to be provided to it, especially in relation to budget monitoring reports
- draw up and approve the school's annual budget, identifying priorities from the school development plan
- monitor the budget throughout the year and review of the financial situation at least each term
- receive and respond to any audit reports on the school's public funds
- audit all voluntary funds for presentation to the local authority.
Financial Management Resp Matrix
Internal Financial Controls
Value for Money
Best Practice Financial Management
The Financial Management Standard
Role of Governing Body
Guidance on Roles of GB and HTs