The LHSS will support children & young people with a permanent sensory neural or long standing conductive hearing loss/deafness. Support will be provided in homes and educational placements.

local offer logo

Diagnosis and assessment

All babies are given hearing tests at birth and the hospital will refer to LHSS if a hearing loss/deafness is detected.

If you think your child might have a hearing problem, speak to:

  • your health visitor – if your child doesn’t go to school yet
  • your doctor (GP)
  • the school nurse at your child’s school or your child’s teacher.

They will arrange a hearing test for your child.

Sections in this guide (click title to view)

1. If your child has permanent hearing loss/deafness

If the hearing tests show that your child has permanent sensory neural or long standing hearing loss/deafness, they’ll be referred to Lambeth Hearing Support Service.

An educational audiologist from our Hearing Support Service will work closely with a paediatric audiologist in the NHS.

The NHS paediatric audiologist will:

  • Assess hearing levels
  • Fit hearing aids
  • Help your child to use their hearing aids or cochlear implants.

Our educational audiologist:

  • will assess your child's hearing levels to understand what help they need to hear better at school and home
  • may offer radio systems or other listening devices at your child’s nursery or school.

2. Support for your child and/or young person from LHSS

Children & Young People

  • To understand and accept their hearing loss/deafness.
  • Maintenance of assistive technologies and promote their good use.
  • Support, develop and monitor listening skills, language and learning.
  • Provide opportunities to meet deaf peers and other role models.
  • To support your child's social and emotional wellbeing enabling them to become confident independent individuals.

Families & Carers

  • Advice and information on the child or young person’s sensory impairment and its implications.
  • Advice and information on assistive technologies.
  • Parent groups to provide opportunities to meet other families with their deaf child.
  • Provide advice, support and information on audiology, language development & communication choices for example, use of British Sign Language.
  • Promote language development to ensure good communication and interaction.
  • Support and advice on statutory assessment.
  • Advice and points for consideration in choosing appropriate educational placements.
  • Liaison with other professionals in education, health, social care and voluntary organisations.

Settings & Schools

  • Provide training, advice and support to staff on enabling access to the national curriculum and inclusion in all aspects of school life.
  • Track and monitor listening, language and learning.
  • Checking and monitoring the use of technologies in schools and settings.
  • Advice on room acoustics and help in developing a good listening environment.
  • support for the child’s or young person’s transition to playgroups, early years, schools and post 16 settings.
  • Home/school liaison.

3. Contact us

Lambeth Sensory Support Service
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
Education learning and Skills
Civic Centre
6 Brixton Hill
Telephone: 020 7926 9061 Email:

Postal Address:

Lambeth Hearing Support Service
London Borough of Lambeth
PO Box 734
SO23 5DG