The help you get from us will usually change when you reach 18 years old. You’ll get help from adult social care instead of children’s services. Moving from children’s services to adult social care and planning your future is called ‘transition’.
local offer logo Planning your transition starts when you’re in year 9 at school (13 to 14 years old).

We will help you and your family to start to plan what you want to do in the future and what help you may need. This is called a ‘transition review’.

It includes things like:

  • further education
  • starting work
  • money and benefits
  • where you’ll live
  • health – moving from paediatricians to other doctors
  • help with day-to-day living – for example equipment or a personal assistant

We will work with you on this plan until you reach 18 years old.

When you’re 18 years old

The help you get will move from children’s services to adult social care when you’re 18 years old.

You’ll get an assessment to see if you can get help from adult social care. This will happen automatically if you are known to children social care, so you don’t need to apply. If you are not known to children’s social care a referral may be needed.

Once the assessment has been completed, and you are found eligible under the Care Act 2014, we'll discuss with you the level of support required to meet your needs and options for how this support can be provided.

The support could be:

  • support to access day care
  • transport support to access services
  • support to access college
  • a personal assistant - this is individual support which can be accessed through a direct payment.
  • Carers - to help with personal care
  • home care - to help with meal preparations or shopping needs for example.

Your social worker will work with you to agree when your care will move from children services to adult social care

Carer's support

If you are an unpaid carer you will be offered a carer’s assessment to understand your needs as a carer under the Care Act 2014. Further information and advice can be found at carers hub Lambeth.

If you can’t get help from adult social care

If you don’t qualify for help from adult social care, we will tell you where you can get the help you need.