Remember that the average health check only takes 20-30 minutes but it could save your life.
We know that our risk of developing preventable problems like heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease or dementia increases with age.
Health checks are all about diagnosing these problems as early as possible and encouraging those at a higher-risk to take action.
Health checks in Lambeth - the details
Who can have a free health check?
If you are a Lambeth resident and/or are registered with a Lambeth GP and you meet the criteria below then you can have an NHS health check at any time:
- you are between 40 and 75
- you have not already been diagnosed with heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease, or had a stroke
- you have not had an NHS Health Check in the last 5 years.
What happens at a health check?
An NHS health check involves the following activities:
- We will record your height, weight and waist size.
- We will do quick simple blood tests to check cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- We will ask some questions about your family history and lifestyle habits.
Why do I need a health check?
We know that your risk of developing heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and kidney disease increases with age. This is why we want to emphasise to absolutely everyone aged 40-74 how important having a health check can be.
Health checks are free and we will work with you to lower your chances of developing dangerous health problems in the future. It doesn't matter if you feel well it is worth having a health check just to be sure.
At each health check specialists will recommend tailored steps that can be taken by you to maintain or improve their health.
Where do I go for a health check?
Please visit your GP for your free health check.