Extra care housing aims to help you to live independently for as long as possible. It gives you the security and privacy of having your own front door but with services being available to support your needs if you want them.

Extra care housing can offer you the opportunity of being independent in your own home with flexible, individually tailored packages of care and support available on site 24 hours a day. This support may prevent you going into residential care or hospital and can help you to be discharged early.

The adult social care team is the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries. You can contact them from Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm on 020 7926 5555.

Sections in this guide (click title to view)

1. Where are the Lambeth extra care schemes?

There are 5 schemes currently in Lambeth and are all around the centre of the borough.

We are also planning more schemes in the north and the south of the borough but these won’t be available until 2016.

2. How does it work?

The schemes provide a range of self-contained flats to meet the needs of people that have been assessed as needing this type of housing.

Some schemes are only for older people or frail elderly and these schemes can support people who are living with dementia.

Other schemes can accommodate older people along with adults with physical disabilities, adults with learning disabilities including people with poor mental health.

3. Can I apply for extra care housing?

To be eligible for extra care housing you must be

  • A Lambeth resident
  • Eligible for social care according to the Care Act 2014 eligibility criteria
  • Aged 65 and over for Older people schemes
  • Aged 18 and over for ALD or SDD
  • Assessed as suitable for extra care housing

4. How much does it cost?

The cost of each scheme is different and these are detailed on each scheme’s leaflet. The principal for each scheme is the same and you should expect to pay;

  • the cost of renting your home
  • a housing service charge
  • Council Tax
  • Utilities -. gas, electricity and water (these may be included in rent or separate)
  • Care charges
  • Supporting People charges


pdf Charleston House guide686.32 KB
pdf Clarence Avenue guide597.68 KB
pdf Helmi House guide665.22 KB
pdf Hillyard House guide932.62 KB
pdf Lingham Court guide633.64 KB