Apply for a table and chairs or pavement licence

A temporary Pavement Licence was created due to the pandemic, but this does not replace the Table and Chairs Licence.

You will need this licence if you plan to use removable furniture outside your business premises for the sale and consumption of food or drink.

Supporting businesses in Lambeth is a key objective of the government and the council.

The Business and Planning Act 2020 has made provisions for a new pavement licence to support economic recovery and growth, and fast track some aspects of planning, as the UK recovers from the disruption caused by COVID-19.

These changes are temporary to support businesses while social distancing measures are still in place. Take a look at other ways we are supporting businesses during COVID-19.

The pavement licence will only be available until 30 September 2024 and does not replace the existing tables and chairs licence.

Do it online

Apply for a pavement licence

For any issues with the form, or difficulties applying online, please email

Who can use this service?

If you run a public house, café, bar, restaurant, snack bar, coffee shop, or ice cream parlour, your business can apply for a pavement licence.

A pavement licence is a temporary measure to allow your business to place removable furniture on the pavement outside your business premises to:

  • sell or serve food or drink
  • be used by people for the consumption of food or drink.

Costs for this service

The total cost of this service is £100. It includes the application fee and the pavement licence and can be paid when you apply online.

The cost is fixed until the expiry date and there is no reduction in cost based on the length of the licence.

This cost is also non-refundable.

What you need to know...

Furniture that can be used

All furniture used must be removable and not a permanent fixed structure. It must also be stored away at the end of every evening, no later than 10pm.

This furniture can include:

  • counters or stalls for selling or serving food or drink
  • tables, counters or shelves, on which food or drink can be placed
  • chairs, benches or other forms of seating
  • umbrellas, barriers and other articles used in connection with the outdoor consumption of food or drink.

If you would like to use an outdoor heater, please read our guidance on the process for this

Documents you must provide

To apply for your licence, you must show us:

  • proof of address, such as a copy of a recent utility bill, Council Tax bill or bank or building society statement dated within the last three months and in the name of the applicant
  • proof of photographic ID, such as a copy of a current photo driving licence or passport
  • public liability insurance, and the copy of the section of your insurance document that shows your company has public liability cover
  • a sketch or layout of the area that you wish to place your tables, chairs or other removable furniture.

See our guidance for more detail:

Terms and conditions

What happens after you apply

Once your application has been submitted, you must print out and display the consultation notice provided to you after the submission of your application.

The application process will take 10 working days, excluding bank holidays. This includes five working days for public consultation, and then five working days to consider the application after the consultation.

How long the licence lasts

The pavement licence is temporary, lasting a maximum of one year, and will only be available until 30 September 2024.

The fee is fixed and does not depend on the amount of time between when you applied for the licence and its expiry date.

What happens if your application is declined

An application can be rejected because:

  • there is a risk to public health and safety
  • the highway is being obstructed
  • false or misleading statements were provided during application
  • the application did not comply with the requirements to affix a consultation notice.

There is no right of appeal if your application is rejected.