Care and support for you

Use this guide to help you work out if you are eligible for care and support, and what to do if your care worker has not turned up.

Some people need extra practical or emotional care and support. This helps them to lead a positive and fulfilling life and do the everyday things that many of us take for granted.

You may need social care:

  • after an accident or severe illness
  • as you become frailer with age
  • as a young disabled person leaving home

Social care is not day-to-day medical care at home or palliative care (nursing care). It is closely linked with NHS services and your hospital or GP can refer you to social care services.

Social care is means tested so you may pay for some, or all, of your social care costs depending on your income and savings.

Read our guide, Adult social care and you (PDF, 283KB).