Carer's assessment and care plan

An adult carer who cares for an adult with a disability, ill health or is elderly can request a carer’s assessment to discuss the support or services you may need.

Carer's assessment

We will look at how your caring affects your health and wellbeing. This includes your:

  • physical, mental and emotional health 
  • relationships 
  • social activities
  • goals
  • work
  • studies and training
  • leisure.

When carrying out any assessment, we'll consider how your needs impact on other family members.

The assessment will also look at your feelings about being a carer, for example, are you able and willing to continue caring?

You can have an assessment regardless of:

  • the amount or type of care you provide
  • your income
  • your level of need for support.

You can also have an assessment whether or not the person you are caring for has:

  • had an assessment
  • been assessed and the outcome is that they are not eligible for care and support.

Once you have been assessed and we agree that your caring role has a significant impact on your health and wellbeing, a support plan will be developed.

How to get an assessment

Contact us to request a carer's assessment:

Carer’s support plan

A carer's support plan will set out:

  • details of your needs
  • those needs which are eligible
  • which needs we will meet
  • how the support will help you to achieve what is important to you.

Breaks for carers

Everyone needs time off from the physical and mental demands of caring. Many carers want to take full responsibility for the person that they care for. However, it is important that you look after yourself too.

Even a short respite can help you to return to your caring role feeling refreshed and better able to continue caring.

There are many different ways of organising respite, be it for an hour a week, a holiday, or regular help with the day-to-day tasks of caring. The important thing is to know that the person you care for is safe.

There is no fixed entitlement to carers' respite, and it is important to remember that arranging respite can take some time.

For some services, you need to have been referred by us. For others, you can refer yourself to the organisation.

You should always make sure that a provider is suitable for the care needed. If the person you care for requires personal (intimate) care, the provider must be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

The CQC inspects all care homes and regulated homecare agencies in England and Wales. For a named care home or agency, enter your postcode to search the CQC website for those in your area.