Use this form to apply for Housing Benefit if you’re on a low income. You can also apply for Council Tax Support at the same time. You can't apply for Housing Benefit if you already receive, or are eligible for Universal Credit.

Do it online

Already started a form? Continue filling in a saved Housing Benefit claim form.

Who can use this service

You can apply for Housing Benefit if you’re working or unemployed, unless you already receive, or are eligible for Universal Credit.

If you get Universal Credit your housing costs are included in the amount you receive.

You can make a claim for Housing Benefit if any of the following are true:

  • You're of pension age.
  • You receive (or have received in the last 4 weeks) the Severe Disability Premium as part of an award of Employment and Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support or Housing Benefit.
  • You live in temporary accommodation.
  • You live in specified accommodation.

If you live in specified accommodation, two condition must be met:

  1. Your landlord needs to be either a charity, housing association, voluntary or not for profit organisation, or county council (Lambeth is not a county council).
  2. You must be receiving care, support and supervision.

If you don’t meet any of the criteria above you should apply for Universal Credit.

Council Tax Support

You can apply for Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit at the same time if you need help with paying your rent and Council Tax bill. You'll only need to fill in the online form once to apply for both.

If your accommodation is outside of Lambeth, you'll need to apply to the local council for where you live for Council Tax Support.

What you’ll get

The amount of Housing Benefit you’ll receive is worked out by looking at:

  • your income
  • the amount of savings you have
  • the amount of rent you have to pay
  • your personal circumstances.

If you have a partner or other people living with you, we'll need to know about their savings and income as well.

Providing evidence

You’ll need to provide evidence about this to support your claim and we’ll tell you what documents we need when you apply.

You'll be able to upload them straight away or come back and do it when you have them.

We need evidence of your income and savings so we can deal with your claim correctly and promptly. You should aim to provide the evidence within a few days of making your claim whenever possible.