Student discount or exemption

If you’re a full-time student or one or more students live in your home, you could get a discount on Council Tax. You might not have to pay it at all. 

If you are a full time student you can get a discount or exemption. If you live in:

  • a property that only students live in – apply for an exemption
  • student halls provided by your university or college – you do not need to apply at all
  • a household that has both students and non-students – apply for a discount

Courses that count for discounts and exemptions

If you’re over 20 years old, then your courses must:

  • last at least 24 weeks
  • involve at least 21 hours study a week
  • be at a recognised educational establishment

If you’re under 20, then your courses must:

  • last at least three months
  • involve at least 12 hours study per week

Before you start

You'll need the:

  • Council Tax account number on your bill
  • address and postcode of the property you live in
  • university address and course information
  • names of all adults over 18 living at the property
  • date each person moved in
  • details of your landlord, housing association or agent if the property is rented

You also need to send us a student certificate from a university or college for everyone who is applying for the discount. You can attach a copy to your application, or send it through the Council Tax enquiry form.

Apply for student discount or exemption