Apply for social housing

To apply for social housing in Lambeth (council and housing association homes), you will need to join the housing register. Complete the self-assessment first to see if you qualify.

If you meet the criteria you will be able to complete a full application to assess if you are eligible to join the register.

We have many more people on the housing register, and applying to be on the housing register, than properties available. 

If you are accepted to join the housing register you will likely have to wait a number of years before you are offered a property. 

Who can apply

To be eligible to join the housing register in Lambeth :

  • You must be living in Lambeth now and have done so for the past 2 years or have left the armed forces in the past 5 years.
  • You must be at least 18 years old.

And at least one of the following criteria must apply:

  • Someone in the household has a medical need to move.
  • You have an Assured Tenancy Housing Association home which is larger than you need, and you want to move to a smaller home, or your home was purpose-built for a wheelchair user and you no longer need that sort of home.
  • Your household is overcrowded.
  • You are sharing a bathroom and/or kitchen with others who are not in your household.
  • You are homeless but owed the full homeless duty by any local authority (if you are owed a homeless duty you will be added to the housing register through your homeless application).

Find out more in the Housing Allocation Polic (PDF, 506KB)

Apply for social housing

Start your self-assessment

If you are at risk of homelessness contact the housing advice team who will be able to provide assistance to retain your housing or to source new accommodation.