Help with aids and adaptions

The Home Improvement Agency (HIA) can advise and help vulnerable residents with repairs, improvements and adaptations to their home.

Who can use this service

Depending on the actual works required, any owner, occupier, private or housing association tenant living in Lambeth can access our service.

Typically, most of our work is requested by Occupational Therapy. This service supports clients who are having difficulty getting around their home due to a physical disability or sensory impairment.

How we can help

Once we've received your referral, we will visit you at home to discuss your needs. We may offer advice and guidance about:

  • applying for grants
  • technical surveys
  • arranging for estimates or specifications
  • finding suitable builders to carry out the work
  • supervising the work through to satisfactory completion
  • housing options, if you want to consider moving to more suitable accommodation.

We may also refer you to other agencies to access welfare benefits, concessions or services.


Our advisory service is free and confidential.

If you decide to carry out work with the support of our agency surveyors, we will usually charge a fee. This will vary according to the complexity and cost of the work.

If you qualify for a grant, the fee may be included in the grant.

Contact us

You can contact the Home Improvement Agency by email: