Abandoned vehicles

Use this guide to find information on abandoned vehicles and how to report one.

Frequently asked questions

How do I prevent my vehicle being mistaken as an abandoned vehicle?

If you wish to park your vehicle on the highway, your vehicle must be taxed even if you are not using the vehicle. Your vehicle must remain in a road-worthy condition.

Alternatively, you can arrange for your vehicle to be stored off the highway. To do this, you must obtain a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification).

How can I appeal the removal of an abandoned or nuisance vehicle?

If your vehicle is removed and you feel that it should not have been, you can make an appeal against the decision to classify your vehicle as abandoned. However, you can only do this after you have paid the release fees at the pound. You must make your appeal within 28 days of collecting your vehicle.

To appeal, please complete our online appeal form.

Make an appeal