St. Mary's Gardens is a small open space in Waterloo and within easy travelling distance of Westminster, Albert Embankment and the South Bank.
The Gardens are adjacent to Lambeth Palace, the London home of the Archbishop of Canterbury, as well as the Garden Museum, Archbishop's Park and St Thomas's Hospital. It was originally part of the old road which led up to the site of the original Lambeth Bridge of 1862, which was replaced by a new bridge further to the south. As a result a new small public garden was created and laid out by Lambeth Borough Council in 1932-3.
The gardens provides residents and visitors with a safe and attractive place to meet, sit and relax, and contains an outer area containing a colourful mixture of grasses and shrubs, with the central paved area containing seating and a water fountain.
St. Mary's Gardens are also part of a Borough "Site of Importance for Nature Conservation" (or SINC) for the London Borough of Lambeth, along with the Garden Museum and Lambeth Palace Gardens. This recognises its importance not just for wildlife, but also for people living in both Lambeth and London to enjoy access to nature.