Completion certificates

We can provide a completion certificate for completed works where the original building regulations applications was handled by us.

If you are the homeowner or appointed agent, we are able to provide copies of completion certificates for completed applications. There is a cost of £75 for each copy.

You will need to tell us which application the certificate is for and you may also need to pay a fee. A completion certificate can only be issued for a building regulation application once the works on site have been completed and our inspection has concluded that they fully meet the regulations.

You will need to provide details of the building regulations application for which you require a completion certificate.

Email us at

Alternatively, call 020 7926 1150. Please have your debit or credit card to hand if you need to pay a fee.

Applications submitted from April 2013 onwards

For applications submitted after 1 April 2013 there is no charge for the first copy of a completion certificate, and it will be issued after the completion of works as long as all application fees have been paid. If a replacement or duplicate certificate is needed, we will charge you £75 per certificate.

Applications submitted before April 2013

For applications submitted before April 2013 there is fee of £75 for a completion certificate. This is because the fee for the completion certificate was not included within the application fee before that time. The original application fees must also have been paid in full, otherwise a completion certificate will not be issued.


You can pay for your completion certificate online by cheque, credit card, or debit card.

Cheques should be made payable to 'London Borough of Lambeth' and be sent to Building Control, London Borough of Lambeth, PO Box 734, Winchester, SO23 5DG. Please write the address of the property and, if you have it, the original application reference number on the back of the cheque. This will help us process your payment quickly and efficiently.

You can pay your copy of completion certificate fee online using the link below:

Pay for a copy of a completion certificate

You can pay by credit or debit card over the phone on 020 7926 1150 with your debit and credit card details and the details of the application for which you require a completion certificate.

What you need to know...

To request a completion certificate from us you will need to identify the original building regulations application. All building regulations applications are registered against a property and you can search for properties and their associated applications using our building regulations application database.

Building regulations application database

Once you have found the right property, you should also be able to see the building regulations applications that have been registered against it. Please take a note of the application reference number and submit it with your request.

Before a completion certificate can be issued, the building works must be complete and have been inspected. You can also use the database to check completion by checking that the application status shows ‘Building Works Complete’.

If you are unable to find the application on the database, you should tell us any information that may help us to find the original application. This includes:

  • the address of the property or site - if the site is complex, it may help if you are able to provide a map with a clear outline of the site
  • the date that the works were completed - if you do not know an exact date then a date range may help
  • a description of the completed works.

Approved inspectors and competent persons applications

Please note that some of the applications on our database were processed by registered approved inspectors or competent persons and we will not be able to provide completion certificates for those applications, even if they are shown as complete. These applications appear on our database because we are the local authority. All approved inspectors or competent persons who carry out works in Lambeth must notify us and we have a duty to keep a record of these notices.

You can tell if it is an approved inspector or competent person application by the last part of its reference number. If it is IN, INC, BMCL, CERTAS, CIGA, CPS, CWISC, ELECSA, FENSA, GASAFE, NAPIT, NFRC, NFRCCR, NICEIC, STROMA, VEKA, then it is an approved inspector or competent persons application.

If you require a completion certificate for these types of application, you will need to contact the approved inspector or competent person who carried out the works. If you tell us the application details we can provide you with a name and address to pursue your enquiry.

Next Steps

Once we have received your request and the fee, we will review the information provided to ensure that we are able to process your request. If we are unable to find the application you refer to or have not yet received the fee, then we will contact you to let you know of the problem.

After we have located the appropriate application, we will create a copy of the completion notice and send it to you by email in one working day.