Voting if you live abroad - Votes for Life

If you are a British citizen living outside of the UK, you may be eligible to register as an overseas elector. Overseas electors are only eligible to vote in UK Parliamentary elections. 

You can register to vote as an overseas voter if:

  • you were previously registered to vote in the UK
  • you were previously a UK resident but were not registered to vote.

As an overseas elector, you will need to register in respect of either:

  • the address where you were last registered to vote in the UK
  • the last address you were resident prior to leaving the UK (if you were not previously registered to vote.)

To register to vote as an overseas elector, submit your application online at GOV.UK.

Register to vote

Renewing your registration

Once registered, you will need to renew your registration every three years.

We’ll send you a reminder by post or email when it is time to renew. 

If you do not renew your registration, you’ll be removed from the electoral register and will need to make a new application to register to vote.