Report a concern about a child

Use this guide to help spot the signs of child abuse and report a concern.

Report concerns about a child

If you are concerned about a child you may prefer to talk to someone, such as a partner, family member or friend, before making a report - and that’s perfectly fine.

You don’t have to be absolutely certain about whether a child is being abused; if you have a feeling that something’s not right, talk to your local children’s social care team.

If you're not comfortable telling us, or you are not sure if you are right, you can also speak to the NSPCC or a:

  • police officer
  • teacher
  • health visitor
  • doctor.

The most important thing is to tell someone who can help.

Visit GOV.UK's report child abuse page to get the number for your local authority, or, for referrals in Lambeth, call 020 7926 5555.

If you believe that a child is in immediate danger call the police on 999 straight away.

Professional referrals

If you are a professional working with children, speak to your safeguarding lead first.

To make an early help or child protection referral to Lambeth Children’s Services, you can:

Our professionals dedicated phone line means we can provide immediate help should you have a request for information or want to discuss your referral.

All telephone referrals need to be followed up with a completed form within 24 hours.