Help with paying your bill

If you are having trouble paying your Council Tax, there are lots of ways we can help you. You can apply for Council Tax Support, change your payment plan, or get financial advice.

Apply for Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support means you pay less, or sometimes no Council Tax at all. You can apply if you’re:

  • on a low income and paying Council Tax
  • having money problems because of coronavirus (COVID-19)

Apply for Council Tax support

Contact us for help with your payments

We can help you if you're having trouble paying Council Tax by trying different payment arrangements. Contact us as soon as possible so we can help you.

Check discounts and exemptions

You might be able to pay less for Council Tax. Check if you can apply for any discounts and exemptions.

Change your payment plan

To change your payment plan to make paying easier, you can ask to pay:

  • over 12 months instead of 10 months
  • every quarter of a year
  • in a lump sum each year

Find out how to change your payment plan.

Get support from Citizen's Advice

Citizen’s Advice Merton and Lambeth can help you sort out problems with paying your Council Tax. They run debt clinics where you can:

  • speak to an independent legal debt advisor
  • clear up any concerns you have about your account
  • agree a Council Tax payment plan at a rate you can afford
  • arrange for Citizen's Advice to discuss this with Lambeth council tax officers on your behalf

For more information visit Citizens Advice Merton or call 0800 2540 298.

Get further debt and money advice.

Section 13A Request - Discretionary reduction

Where there are exceptional personal or financial circumstances, the Council may reduce the amount due on an individual Council Tax bill under Section 13A of the Local Government Finance Act 1992.

If you would like to submit an application, please complete the form below, providing full details of the request along with supporting documents.

Request Council Tax Section 13A Relief