A parklet is a former parking space transformed into something for people to enjoy. They are three-sided structures, with a raised deck, which protects users from vehicles but opens up a world of possibilities.
Parklets come in varying forms and materials, and last for 5-10 years on average.
Following a pilot, businesses have reported various benefits of having a parklet:
- Provides more space for the business or organisation
- More room for outdoor seating and tables
- Creation of a community hub
- Provides visibility for your business or organisation
- Invigorates the local area and can be a benefit for other local businesses
- Makes the area more attractive, enhancing the whole street
- Creates a greener, calmer environment for everyone
- Improves employment
- Provides cycle parking for staff and customers.
Who can apply?
Businesses, private organisations, charities, schools and third sector can apply for a parklet and to become a Parklet Owner.
Individual businesses can group together with other businesses to apply.
Parklets can used for:
- Outdoor seating for trading
- Additional outdoor space
- Greening and much more.