Equipment and technology

There is a wide range of equipment available that can be used in your home to make your life easier and help you stay independent.


We employ occupational therapists (OTs) and assessors who provide advice and carry out assessments to see what special equipment and adaptations are needed to help you, or your child, live independently within your home.

They usually work with local health providers to assess need and provide support.

OTs can provide information about:

  • making your home safer for getting around, for example, by the installation of handrails and ramps
  • raising the height of the bed or chair so that standing is much easier if a person has stiff, painful hips and knees
  • building confidence about getting around, managing a disability and reducing worry
  • ways to get support, and provide contacts for other useful agencies
  • help for carers to continue to maintain their caring responsibilities.

Contact the team to arrange an assessment:

Aids and equipment

Following an assessment at home or in hospital, disability equipment may be loaned to aid your independence or help your carer look after you at home. Equipment loaned includes:

  • hoists
  • bath lifts
  • chairs
  • portable ramps
  • shower chairs.

Equipment may be provided by an occupational therapist, assessor or nurse.

Commodes can be requested by contacting your GP or district nurse.

You can also get equipment advice and information by contacting the Disabled Living Foundation.

Hospital beds

Please note that Lambeth Adult Social Care services don't provide hospital beds. A district or community nurse should carry out an assessment to identify specific needs.

The hospital discharge team orders hospital beds for people requiring them before they're discharged home.

If a patient has been discharged home and is then in need of a hospital bed, they'll need to contact their GP, who will make a referral to the district nurse for a bed assessment.

For defects to an existing hospital bed that has been installed at home, call us on 020 7926 5555. You'll be asked to explain what is wrong with the bed so that we can establish whether the bed, or the mattress, is the problem. An order can then be made to have it repaired or replaced.


Adult social care services don't provide or arrange wheelchair services for residents, as this is a specialist health provision.

NHS wheelchairs can be accessed through your GP.

If you're assessed as needing a wheelchair, you'll be provided with one that fits your needs.

You can also hire or borrow a wheelchair for short periods, such as for single or short trips. To find out more, contact the British Red Cross:

Incontinence aids

Adult social care services don't provide incontinence devices.

We would suggest you book an appointment with your GP, and they will make a referral to the bowel and bladder nurse for an assessment. If you already have a district nurse, you can ask them to refer you to the bowel and bladder nurse.

Incontinence is the inability to control bladder or bowel functions. To assist with the lack of control in these areas, there are a wide range of products and devices available. They include:

  • pads and pants
  • bed and chair protection
  • catheters and penile sheaths (also known as a conveen)
  • skincare and hygiene products
  • specially-adapted clothing and swimwear.

Wet floor showers

To determine whether you are eligible for a wet floor shower, we'll need to consider:

  • what personal care tasks you can't manage
  • any health needs that could affect your personal care
  • your physical ability to manage transfers or complete a full body wash.

Before we recommend or agree the installation of a shower, we'll require you to try alternative options such as using a bath seat or board, or a bath lift.

If a wet floor shower is recommended, homeowners would need to apply for a means tested disabled facilities grant.

Returning equipment

To return the equipment when no longer needed, please contact the Lambeth contractor, NRS Healthcare, on 0300 100 0253. They will arrange to collect the equipment.

Prescription items become your property. You can dispose of them or arrange collection through various waste collection services.

Items include:

  • commodes
  • perching stools
  • bath boards
  • toilet frames.