Register a birth

Use this guide to find information on registering the birth of your child.

Same-sex female couples

Female couples can include both of their names on their child’s birth certificate when registering the birth. The rules are different depending on whether or not they’re in a civil partnership.

Married or civil partners

Either woman can register the birth on her own if all of the following are true:

  • The mother has a child by donor insemination or fertility treatment.
  • The mother was married or in a civil partnership at the time of the treatment.

Unmarried or non-civil partners

When a mother isn't in a civil partnership, her partner can be seen as the child’s second parent if both women:

  • are treated together in the UK by a licensed clinic
  • have made a ‘parenthood agreement’.

However, for both parents’ details to be recorded on the birth certificate, they must do one of the following:

  • Register the birth jointly.
  • Complete a Statutory declaration of acknowledgement of parentage form and one parent takes the signed form when they register the birth.
  • Get a document from the court (for example, a court order) giving the second female parent parental responsibility, and one parent shows the document when they register the birth.