Hazardous waste

Hazardous waste is rubbish that might cause danger to health or to the environment. Find out how to get it collected.

Guidance for Lambeth residents

Collection by City of London Corporation

Lambeth residents can get the following hazardous waste collected by the City of London Corporation:

  • Acids
  • Aerosol paints
  • Alcohol-based cleaners
  • Aldehyde-based cleaners
  • Algicides 
  • Animal deterrents 
  • Antifreeze 
  • Asbestos 
  • Bleaches
  • Brake fluid 
  • Brush cleaners 
  • Brushing car paints 
  • Cytotoxic or cytostatic medicines - or take it back to a pharmacist
  • Disinfectants 
  • Dismantling lubricant
  • Driveway concrete cleaner
  • Engine additives (internal)
  • Engine cleaning degreasant
  • Fertilisers
  • Fungicides 
  • Glass cleaners
  • Herbicides 
  • Insecticides 
  • Lawn treatments
  • Molluscicides 
  • Oil filters (used) 
  • Oven cleaners
  • Paint strippers
  • Paint thinners 
  • Patio and path treatments
  • Peroxygen disinfectants
  • Petcare products 
  • Petrol, diesel and paraffin 
  • Photographic chemicals 
  • Plastic bumper/car body filler 
  • Pond treatments 
  • Rodenticides 
  • Scouring/all-purpose cleaners
  • Stain removers
  • Transmission fluid 
  • Unknown liquids which may be hazardous 
  • Vehicle brake shoes 
  • Veterinary medicines - or return it to the vet
  • Weed killers 
  • Wheel cleaner 
  • Wood filler (solvent borne) 
  • Wood preservatives

Get hazardous waste collected

We can arrange regular collections for clinical waste.

Take to a reuse and recycling centre

The following can be taken to a reuse or recycling centre:

  • Creosoted wood - or get it collected using our bulky waste collection service
  • Display screen equipment containing cathode ray tubes (including LCD and plasma screen equipment) - or get it collected using our bulky waste collection service
  • Electrical and electronic equipment (including smoke alarms) - or use on-street collection bins, our small electricals collection service (for small electronics) or retailer take-back services
  • Engine oil (used) 
  • Fire extinguishers 
  • Fluorescent bulbs - or use on-street and retailer collection bins for energy efficient bulbs
  • Fluorescent tubes
  • Fridges and freezers - or get it collected using our bulky waste collection service
  • Gas bottles - or take it back to where you bought it
  • Infectious clinical waste - check what to do with household clinical waste
  • Lead acid batteries

Ammunition and explosive devices (ammunition, fireworks, pyrotechnics)

Many sources say that damaged or partially exploded fireworks can be made safe by soaking them in water for 24 hours. However, this is not always the case and anyone putting a potentially explosive device into a waste bin is in breach of the Explosives Act.

If you have unused fireworks which cannot be ignited by the fuse, you need to contact the manufacturer or importer for advice on how to dispose of them safely. Their contact details will be on the packet.

If you have unwanted ammunition, you need to take it to your local police station or a registered firearms dealer. You should phone before you go.