In the UK, 336,000 tonnes of clothing end up being thrown in the bin every year.
To avoid turning your clothes into rubbish, you can:
- donate clothing, shoes and accessories in good condition to your local charity shop or textiles bank
- swap good quality clothes, shoes or accessories you no longer use with friends or family, or sell items online
- repair, refashion or upcycle your old or damaged clothing - visit WRAP’s Love Your Clothes campaign website for repair and upcycling tips and information on how to reduce the environmental impact of your clothing
- go to a mending meet up at the Library of Things to learn some repair techniques - you can also borrow equipment like a sewing machine, rather than buying one
- take textiles in any condition to one of our Reuse and Recycling Centres - textiles collection banks are also placed in various locations across Lambeth