Getting help with your application

You can get help with making your application – for example, from a friend, relative, support group, social worker, or solicitor.

You can also contact the Redress team at Lambeth. We’ll be happy to answer any questions you have about the application process:

  • Phone: 020 7926 6980
  • Email:
  • Post: Lambeth Redress Scheme, PO Box 747, Winchester, SO23 5DP (please write ‘Strictly Private and Confidential’ on the envelope)

1. Using a solicitor

You can ask a solicitor to make your application on your behalf.

If you use a solicitor, we will pay some of your legal costs. How much will we pay depends on the type of application you make.

Costs of using a solicitor

Most solicitors handle applications to the Redress Scheme on a ‘no-win-no-fee’ basis.

No win no fee means:

  • you’ll have to pay little or nothing up front
  • your solicitor will only charge you a fee if your application is successful

Before using a solicitor, ask them how much they are likely to charge. You should also check if they plan to deduct any money from your compensation.

It’s possible that your solicitor may charge you more money than you get in compensation. You need to agree with your solicitor what would happen in that case.

Citizens Advice has information about finding free or affordable legal help. You can also get support and advice from Citizens Advice in person.

Legal costs

If we pay you a Harm’s Way Payment, we will pay fixed legal costs direct to your solicitor.

If we pay you an Individual Redress Payment, we will pay your ‘reasonable legal costs and expenses’.

If you or your solicitor disagree with us about how much of your costs we are willing to pay, the Independent Appeal Panel will decide the amount we should pay.

We will not deduct any legal costs or expenses from either your Individual Redress Payment or your Harm’s Way Payment.

How to find a solicitor

We cannot recommend a particular solicitor. The following organisations may be able to help:

Association of Child Abuse Lawyers

020 839 04701 (Tuesday and Thursday 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 4pm)

The Law Society

020 7320 5650 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)

Local Law Centre

Citizens Advice Bureau

2. Social Worker support

We appreciate that the application process is not always easy and we are here to help.

If you have additional support needs, you can ask to be referred to one of our Social Workers.

Our Social Workers can guide you through the application process if this is helpful. They can also signpost you to other services that may be available to you in your area.

If you require the support of a Social Worker, please contact the Redress Team.

3. Other organisations that can help

These organisations can help with emotional support and advice, whether you have submitted an application to the scheme or not


0800 1111 (24-hour freephone)


0808 801 0331 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 9pm, Friday 10am to 6pm)

Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre South London

0808 802 9999 (daily 12pm to 2.30pm and 7pm to 9.30pm)

Rape Crisis (England and Wales)

0808 802 9999 (daily 12pm to 2.30pm and 7pm till 9.30pm)


08457 116 123 (24-hour freephone)

Shirley Oaks Survivors Association

020 7701 9950

Stop It Now

0808 1000 900 (Monday to Thursday 9am to 9pm, Friday 9am to 5pm)

The Survivors Trust

01788 550 554 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm and 6pm to 8pm, Friday 10am to 4pm)

Survivors UK

020 3598 3898 (Monday to Friday 10.30am to 9pm, Saturday and Sunday 10am to 6pm)

Victim Support

08 08 16 89 111 (24-hour freephone)

Oxleas NHS Trust

020 8301 8960 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)