Medical assessment

If you apply for an Individual Redress Payment you may need to have a medical assessment. If you do, we will arrange this for you.

You will not need to be medically assessed to get a Harm’s Way Payment.

A psychiatric expert from a list of independent medical experts will assess you. They will then write up a medical report.

You can tell us if you need to be assessed by a specific type of expert – for example, a female doctor. We will do our best to arrange this for you.

If you do not want to be medically assessed

If we need medical evidence to process your application, and you do not want to be assessed, your claim may not be able to carry on.

We will consider requests not to have a medical assessment on a case-by-case basis.


We will pay your reasonable costs and expenses to attend the medical assessment.

We will also consider paying for any medical or psychiatric treatment that the expert recommends you have.

The medical report

The medical expert will send your medical report to you and the Redress Team at the same time. This should be within 12 weeks of your medical assessment.

If you disagree with what the expert says in the report, you can contact them to ask why they have written what they have.