Types of redress

You can get different types of compensation and support through the scheme. These are called ‘redress’. The types of redress are listed below.

Please note that the scheme closed to new applications on Saturday, 1 January 2022 at 5pm. Applications received before the deadline will continue to be processed, and you can read about the types of redress which you can receive below.

After we’ve checked that you are eligible for redress under scheme, we’ll contact you or your solicitor.

We’ll also ask you which of the non-financial types of redress you’d like – for example, a written apology. These types of redress are optional: you do not have to ask for them if you do not want them.

Harm’s Way Payment

The Harm’s Way Payment is a payment of between £1,000 and £10,000.

You can apply if you lived in fear of being abused, neglected or suffering cruelty while living in a Lambeth children’s home (including Shirley Oaks).

The amount of payment depends on how long you lived at the children’s home.

If you lived in one of the four homes for children with disabilities, you will get a Harm’s Way payment of £10,000 no matter how long you spent there.

Individual Redress Payment

The Individual Redress Payment is a payment of up to £125,000.

You can receive an Individual Redress Payment if you suffered abuse or psychological injury as a child while you:

  • lived in or visited a Lambeth children’s home (including those at Shirley Oaks)
  • attended Shirley Oaks Primary School

However, if you went from somewhere other than a Lambeth children’s home into foster care (such as your family home), any abuse you suffered in foster care would not be covered by the scheme. In that case, you would need to make a civil claim against the council.

If you suffered abuse or injury in a non-Lambeth Children’s Home, even where Lambeth was involved in your placement in that home, you would not be covered by the scheme but may still be able to make a civil claim against the council or another organisation. You should seek advice from a solicitor who will be able to advise you further depending upon the circumstances of your case.

The amount of payment depends on:

  • how severe the abuse was
  • the harm it caused you
  • whether you’ll need to pay for any recommended medical or psychological treatment
  • whether you’ll need to pay for things like travelling to a medical assessment when making your application

You can receive both payments

If you’re eligible, you can apply for both the Harm’s Way Payment and Individual Redress Payment. We would pay your Harm’s Way Payment first.

A written apology from Lambeth Council

We would like to apologise personally to everyone who suffered or feared harm in our children's homes. If you would like it, you can ask for a formal written apology from the council.

The apology will:

  • acknowledge what happened to you
  • accept that it was Lambeth Council’s fault
  • say what we’ve done to make sure it does not happen again

A meeting with someone senior from the council

You can also ask to meet with a senior person from Lambeth Council.

This is to give you the chance to tell the council in person what you think and feel about what happened to you.

It’s also a chance to hear what the council has to say about it.


Peer and individual support USEMI is providing a free weekly peer and individual support service for anyone who has accessed the Lambeth Redress scheme. This offer is delivered independently of the Council.

Specialist advice

You can also ask to get specialist advice, support and assistance to help you get access to:

  • housing
  • welfare benefits
  • further education
  • work

Housing advice under the Redress Scheme

Eligible applicants who need housing advice will be able to speak in person to a housing advice officer. You will be referred directly to someone who will be familiar with the Redress Scheme, and you will not have to explain to people that you have suffered abuse as a child. The level of assistance offered will depend on the nature of the query. Simple queries may only need a single conversation or signposting to other services, while other issues may require more casework. We will prioritise cases of homelessness and threat of homelessness.

We can advise on the following issues:

  • Your rights as a tenant, including being asked to leave by your landlord and rent arrears
  • What to do if you need to move because you are at risk of violence
  • What to do if you are homeless
  • Living in unsatisfactory housing, including serious disrepair and severe overcrowding.

What we cannot do:

  • The service is open to all eligible applicants, regardless of whether you currently live in Lambeth. However, there may be practical limitations on the assistance we can offer if do not live in Lambeth. You may therefore be advised to contact your local council who will have knowledge of local services that may be better able to assist.
  • We are unable to assist with complaints or challenges against other local authorities, or to ask another council or social housing landlord to provide you with housing. We are unable to assist council and housing association tenants with transfer applications.
  • We cannot provide legal advice. Although we can provide information on a wide range of housing issues, we are to unable to provide detailed legal advice or advocacy on issues such as court proceedings, tenancy assignment and succession, right to buy, leasehold issues, etc.
  • If you are a Lambeth Council secure tenant you will normally be referred to your Neighbourhood Housing Office.