Documents to bring to your notice appointment

At your notice appointment you'll need to provide us with:

  • information about yourself and your partner 
  • proof of your current address 
  • proof of your name, age and nationality. 

All documents provided must be originals and not photocopies. Electronic copies cannot be accepted. 

We will not be able to take the notice if any of the following are not provided. 

Proof of identity 

For proof of your identity, we will accept a: 

  • valid passport, OR
  • full birth certificate - accepted only for British citizens born in the United Kingdom before 1983. If you were born after 1 January 1983 and wish to use your birth certificate, the rules are more complex, contact us to discuss your case, OR
  • Home Office travel document, OR
  • certificate of naturalisation or registration from the Home Office confirming that you are a British citizen - you should produce this with a photo ID such as a UK driving license or foreign passport. 

Proof of residency 

Both of you must have lived in your registration district in England and Wales for at least eight days immediately prior to giving your notices. 

For proof of residency, we will accept a: 

  • utility bill dated within three months of giving notice, OR 
  • bank/building society statement/passbook dated within one month of giving notice, OR 
  • internet bank statement - not older than one month and must be endorsed by the bank, OR 
  • credit card statement - not older than one month, OR 
  • council tax bill dated within 12 months of giving notice, OR 
  • mortgage statement dated within 12 months of giving notice, OR
  • current residential tenancy agreement, OR 
  • full or provisional valid UK driver’s licence.

If you live together, each document can only be used as proof of residence for one individual.

Proof of name change

If you were known by any other name, you will need to provide evidence in the form of a: 

  • change of name deed, OR 
  • statutory declaration of change of name, OR 
  • deed poll document. 

Proof of previous marriage or civil partnership

If you have been married or in a civil partnership before, you need to provide evidence that your most previous marriage or civil partnership has ended.

For proof of this, we will accept a:

  • death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner, OR 
  • British Isles decree absolute or final order papers bearing the court's original stamp. We will also need to see your previous marriage or civil partnership certificate(s) where your current name does not appear on the decree absolute, final order or death certificate, OR 
  • divorce or final order papers (if your divorce took place outside of the British Isles). These vary from country to country, and it is your responsibility to ensure that you have the correct documents. If your divorce or final order papers are not in English, in addition to the original documents, you must provide a full translation including any stamps and signatures contained thereon. The translation must contain the name and address of the translator and be certified by them as a true and accurate translation. 

There is a charge for consideration of divorce/civil partnership dissolution documentation issued outside of the British Isles (United Kingdom, Isle of Man or Channel Islands): 

  • £50 if the documents can be cleared by the superintendent registrar at the local register office. 
  • £75 if the documents require referral to the General Register Office (GRO). 

Proof for not relevant nationals

Where neither of you are a ‘Relevant National’, have diplomatic status, have a certificate of right of abode, or are visiting armed forces, you are subject to immigration control and possibly the Home Office referral and investigation scheme. There are a few other limited circumstances to be aware of, so contact us if you are unsure.

For any couples who are subject to immigration controls, it is a legal requirement for each individual to provide a passport-style photograph. 

The photo must: 

  • clearly show the face of the person – no other person or object should be present 
  • show a neutral expression on your face 
  • not have anything covering your head or hair - other than for religious reasons or medical reasons 
  • be recently taken to reflect your current likeness. 

Photos that have been cut down from larger pictures will not be accepted. 

Proof of status under the EU Settlement Scheme 

If you have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, you will need to prove your status.

Please complete the view or prove your immigration status form to obtain a code. The registrar will need this code during your appointment. If you do not have your code at the appointment you will need to rebook.

If you have an application to the EU Settlement Scheme that you made before 30 June 2021 which you’re waiting for a decision on, you will need to prove your status by showing the registrar your certificate of application. 

Proof for under 18s

If either of you are under 18 years old, we'll need your parents' or guardian’s consent to the civil partnership. 

If your parents are divorced, we may need to see court orders, please contact us for advise.