Religious venues

If you're planning a religious wedding, you must first have the permission of the minister or governing body before you can make any other arrangements.

The minister, priest, imam or other person in charge, will be able to advise on what you need to do to arrange a ceremony and give notice.

In some locations, you may require the attendance of a registrar at the wedding, whereas in other locations, there will be an authorised person that will be able to perform the ceremony and register the marriage.

Once you have arranged a date for your ceremony, you'll need to give notice of your marriage with your local registrar office. If you get married in a Church of England, you won't need to give notice at your local registrar office unless you're subject to immigration controls.

Church of England

If you wish to be married in a Church of England, generally, you will only be able to do so if you or your partner live in the parish. You should first speak to the Vicar.

If they're able to marry you, they will arrange for Banns to be called on three Sundays before the day of your ceremony, or for a common licence to be issued, and there is normally no need to involve the Superintendent Registrar.