West Norwood Cemetery

One of London's 'Magnificent Seven' cemeteries, West Norwood Cemetery has the privilege of historic monuments, catacombs, cremation plots and a columbarium.

How to get here


West Norwood Cemetery and Crematorium
Norwood Road
West Norwood
SE27 9JU


Buses: 2, 68, 196, 315, 322, 432 and 468

Train: West Norwood

Here to help

Our offices are open from 9am to 2pm.

To discuss your requirements, please call us on 020 7926 4221 or email bereavementservices@lambeth.gov.uk.

Submit an online enquiry

Visiting times

November to March

Weekdays: 8am to 4pm

Weekends/Bank Holidays: 10am to 4pm

Christmas Day: 10am to 2.30pm

April to October

Weekdays: 8am to 6pm

Weekends/Bank Holidays: 10am to 6pm

Green Flag Award

West Norwood Cemetery has held its Green Flag Award status since 2016, impressing judges with its rich heritage, biodiversity, and community involvement.

Friends of West Norwood Cemetery (FOWNC)

The FOWNC aim to increase knowledge and appreciation of cemetery and hold guided tours on the first Sunday of every month at 2.30pm (April and October) and 11am (November and March).

Reused grave database

The database holds details of illegally reused graves in West Norwood Cemetery and has been created following a Consistory Court judgement.

No new burials

West Norwood Cemetery is currently closed to new grave burials.

We regret that we can longer offer cremation burial plots at West Norwood but these can be purchased at Lambeth Cemetery.

Construction on site

The Heritage Lottery Fund project is underway to restore and transform the cemetery.

To maintain safe conditions for staff, contractors and visitors, some areas of the cemetery will be restricted for access over the construction period.

We are committed to ensuring funeral services within the cemetery will continue in an efficient manner. There will be continued vehicle access to the crematorium. 


West Norwood Cemetery originally opened in 1837, with the later addition of the crematorium on site in 1915.

The cemetery was one of the first Victorian cemeteries to open in London and is home to over 65 listed monuments. Known as the South Metropolitan Cemetery when it first opened, Lambeth Council took over management of the site in 1965.

The site offers two chapels, the Hall of Memory, an oak columbarium and a recordia. The chapels are kept closed when services are not held, but visitors may visit the rest of the building during opening times.

Parking is available across the site.

Memorials available here