The Lambeth Autism Advisory Service (LAAS) gives advice, support and training to schools and families and helps them to meet the needs of children and young people with autism.
We work with any child already diagnosed with autism or on an assessment waiting list.
Our team of specialist teachers are trained to use methods like TEACCH, Attention Autism, SCERTS, Social Stories.
We promote the AET National Autism Standards across schools, and support regular evaluation of effective, inclusive practice.
We work with:
- parents and carers
- Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinators (SENDCOs) and other school staff
- Educational Psychologists (EP), Speech and Language Therapists (SLTs), Occupational Therapists (OTs)
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
- Children’s Services staff
Support for parents and carers
We run NAS Early Bird Plus and Teen Life courses for parents during school term-time.
We also hold monthly drop-in parents' support groups and workshops. They are held online and in mainstream schools across Lambeth. Parents and carers can:
- meet other parents of children and young people with autism
- share experiences
- discuss strategies and share ideas with both parents and professionals
We also support schools to hold their own coffee mornings to help parents meet, talk and share their experiences.
This academic year all parent sessions will be managed by individual advisory teachers in their cluster of schools. The key topics will remain the same but there will be flexibility for parents to request certain additional areas too.
Key topics are:
- Understanding Autism and Key Strategies.
- Understanding Autism in Girls
- Relationships and Puberty
- Communication and Behaviour
- Anxiety and SEMH
- Secondary Transition
- Sensory Differences
- Staying Safe
If you know who your designated advisory teacher is, please contact them directly for more information.
For those parents who do not know or have access to an advisory teacher, please email LAAS@lambeth.gov.uk and you will be assigned one of the team and their cluster of schools to gain access to the workshops.
Support for schools
We work closely with Lambeth primary schools to create inclusive and autism-friendly learning environments. We also offer training to Lambeth secondary schools.
Our support allows schools to help children and young people reach their full academic and social potential and become more independent. We help school staff understand autism better and use the best practice
The local authority funds the service. Every school is offered an agreed level of monitoring and support.
- training and workshops across the school year for primary school staff
- advice and modelling of resources and interventions
- tailored in-school training from their advisory teacher
Secondary schools can buy in the service. They can arrange staff training and individual consultations via the Lambeth Schools Services website.
Support for other professionals
We work with other Lambeth professionals, like EPs, SLTs, OTs, health professionals and social care practitioners. This helps make sure children get the best all round support and make good progress. This support is usually started by the school SENDCO once a referral has been made.
You can contact the LAAS by:
- phone on 07849 079 140
- email at LAAS@lambeth.gov.uk
- post at Lambeth Autism Advisory Service, London Borough of Lambeth, PO Box 734, Winchester SO23 5DG