Support for SEND at university

The best way to get the right support for your needs in higher education is to talk to the disability officer at the university you want to go to. You can also talk to one near your home.

Find a disability rights officer

Questions to ask when choosing a university

  • What extra support is available at the university?
  • Does the available support meet your individual needs?
  • How does the university or course provider support other students with a similar disability or additional need?
  • Will you need to provide proof of your disability - if so, what will you need to provide?
  • Can anyone help with applications for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)?
  • Can you visit the university beforehand?
  • If you find it hard to talk to the course provider, can you nominate someone else on your behalf?

Support while you learn

If you have a physical disability or learning difficulty, like dyslexia, you have the right to get  ‘reasonable adjustments'. These might include:

  • extra equipment
  • more help from tutors
  • more time to study
  • different ways to take exams.

For more information, read:

Where to get more advice

You can get advice from the Disability Rights UK Disabled Students Helpline.

Telephone: 0800 328 5050 (free number)

Opening hours: Tuesday, 11.30am-1.30pm and Thursday, 1.30pm-3.30pm.

Website: Disabled Students Helpline - Disability Rights UK