Adjustments needed to the house

Once you have had a chance to think about what housing type you prefer, it may need to be considered if the property would need to be changed (adapted) to make it easier for you to live in, if you have a physical disability.

Some of these changes might be small, like fitting a grab rail in the bathroom, but others may require building work, for example, putting in a shower room. Remember, if you do not own the property, permission will probably be required from the property owner before any work is undertaken.

Disabled Facilities Grant may be available from the housing department to pay for any big changes.

Assistive technologies, which are a range of special equipment such as alarms and sensors, may also help you live more easily and safely in your home.