Autism support after 18

Whether you’ve been living with autism since you were a child, or have had it diagnosed later in life, there is support that you can access to help you manage in adulthood.

Assessing adults for autism

To get an assessment for autism, you will need a referral from your GP.

If you are seeing a different health professional for other reasons (for example, a psychologist if you have depression), you could ask them for a referral instead.

Your GP can then refer you to the Autism Assessment and Behavioural Genetics Service. This is a diagnostic service for adults aged 18 years and over.

The service offers assessments and diagnosis to people with communication and social interaction difficulties, which may be due to being on the autism spectrum.

The service also provides brief interventions and signposting to those who receive a diagnosis of autism.

A clear diagnosis can help individuals to access support, be understood and develop helpful strategies.

Find out more about this service

Moving from children's to adult services

If you’re over 18 and have autism, the services you receive may be a mix of adult services and children's services from education, health and social care:

  • You may still be supported with an education, care and health plan if you’re in education or training.
  • You may get help with social activities or help from Adult Social Care to develop independence.
  • Currently, a young person who has autism and additional needs placed within a specialised secondary school setting in Lambeth will have access to a transition medical plan where any specific health care needs are transferred to the care of the relevant adult medical team and their GP.
  • Young people with autism in a mainstream education setting will be signposted to relevant local support services. Their overall needs will be managed by their GP.
  • Read how our help from social care changes at 18.

Health checks

Some of our young people with autism have a learning disability.

People aged 14 and over who have been assessed as having moderate, severe or profound learning disabilities, or people with a mild learning disability who have other complex health needs, are entitled to a free annual health check.

Useful services